Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UMKC 6 year ba/md program... my cahnces?

hifivehifive Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited January 3 in What Are My Chances?
what are my chances of getting into UMKC's 6 year ba/md program?

out of state

stats
ACT:29
GPA:5.00/ Cumulative: 4.909
class rank: 4 of 591

ec's
Speech team
Newspaper- page editor, copy editor, assistant editor-in-chief
Math Honor Society- historian
Science Honor Society- historian
English Honor Society
Model UN- Vice President
Book Club
French Club
Life Savers
Student Council- class representative
ecology club
choir

volunteering:
Memorial Hospital
Saint Elizabeth's Hospital
Sunday School teacher
Nursing Home

internships:
Interventional Pain Medicine Clinic
Interned under Dr. Saleem Mahmood at Jacksonville Oncology Institute

job Shadow:
Dr. Winnie Lee a Cardiothoracic Surgeon

Honors and awards:
Speech team: radio Varsity 4th, 6th/ radio jv 5th
Newspaper: news writing honorable mention
participated in AMC math test
Honor Roll 9th, 10th, llth grade
Post edited by hifive on

Replies to: UMKC 6 year ba/md program... my cahnces?

• hifivehifive Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    also participating in Washington University's Summer scholars program... taking Biomedical Ethics and Chemistry.
    *my CHANCES

-sorry about my typo in the title. :)
  • musiclover2010musiclover2010 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    you'd probably get an interview based on your credentials..but you never know what colleges are looking for these days

and then you would have to win over the interviewers...by showing them how much you want to be a doctor and are really passionate about it

also you should try doing medical research this summer or sometime because that really helps your application. Not that many people do research and umkc thinks really highly of those who do.
  • sweetsmilessweetsmiles Posts: 53Registered User Junior Member
    My good friend's sister is currently in this program, and she said that the interview is absolutely key. These programs are quite prestigious, so it's difficult to adequately chance...a lot depends on how much passion for medicine you can show through your essays/interview
    Thanks musiclover2010 and sweetsmiles for both of your inputs!

Now the only thing I'm really concerned about is my ACT score... the average out-of-state ACT score is a 30 and I have a 29... I wonder if this will effect whether or not I will receive an interview. What do you guys think?
  • musiclover2010musiclover2010 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    the key word is average...there are people who have less than a 30 there so dont worry...obviously you should you keep trying to increase your score over the next few months...but if not i dont think you should worry about it too much. make sure the rest of your application is strong also. that means a lot of volunteering which you already have as well as being around doctors. you should try to have as many leadership positions as you could possibly have through clubs and other school activites because umkc loves leadership roles.
  • tbebekoskitbebekoski Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    I am an out of state applicant, I have already applied, when would I hear back as to whether or not I would be interviewed?
  • guccizaneguccizane Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Hey guys, Im applying to this program right now, and am really nervous.
    Here are my stats;
    asian underrepresented (pakistani)
    ACT 31 (out of state)
    Class rank 15 out of 482
    GPA 4.5476
    Extra curriculars
    Debate team- Captain, Co President, secretary
    Tennis, JV
    Model UN Varsity
    CMAP FLIP- urban planning commission
    Science olympiad, jv
    Science Club
    Freshman mentor, planning committee
    cofounder and staff writer of healthsyndrome.com- website about health topics
    NHS two years
    Volunteer in Hospital
    Shadowed Family practitioner for a few days
    Theater Crew, 3 plays
    Volunteered in Political Campaign

Do you guys think i Have a chance?
    yay i got an interview!!
  • naseemalammarnaseemalammar Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
    I'm thinking about applying to UMKC's 6 year med program from out of state. Do I have a real chance of getting in?
    I have the following:
    ACT Score: 29
    English: 29
    Math: 35
    Reading: 25
    Science: 27
    (i do plan on taking the ACT again)
    I'm applying from a residential high school that is known for teaching classes at a college level.
    My school doesn't have ratings
    GPA: 3.87
    I have volunteered at hospitals and clinics during the summer
    I have shadowed many doctors
    I'm pretty active at my school-I'm president of junior classical league, secretary of key club, etc
    I'm a part of many different clubs at my school as well (FBLA, Animal Welfare, Medical Explorers, Helping Hands, Beta etc.)
    I am also a part of the Future Scientist Program and Classical Scholars Program
    I am an ambassador for my school and a peer mentor (tutor)
  • vidya123vidya123 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    Hifive, were you accepted to the program? I will be applying soon and I just wanted to know if you had any advice for me. Thanks!
  • butterfli123butterfli123 Posts: 227Registered User Junior Member
    hifive, i have pretty low stats, like 32 ACT and only 100 volunteer hours for OOS. chance me?
  • sbandi05sbandi05 Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    Hi,

I am a parent of a sophomore and would like to admit my son into the UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program . We live in Colorado. Does it really matter to get admission into UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program being an out-of-state student? Would our chances improve if we lived in Kansas City,MO? Can anyone share their thoughts please? Does anyone know if there are similar programs like UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program ?
    If so, please advise. I need to plan for my only sophomore.

Thank You.
  • Hipster819Hipster819 Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    It's nice to hear you're interested in medicine for your son, I hope he is interested as well.
    UMKC's 6 year BA/MD is one of many BA/BS/MD programs in the country. Simply google BA/MD and many things will come up.
    I have applied to 11 programs this fall, and am hoping to hear back! Here is the link I used: Medical School Programs

Many of the questions you asked can be found by doing a bit of digging on the 6 year BA/MD site. Here is the link: The B.A./M.D. Program : Admissions : UMKC School of Medicine

Participating in UMKC's 6 year BA/MD program has been my dream since the 6th grade, so I know quite a bit about it. Being an out of state student does matter. Missouri residents get priority, then regional students, then out of state. Out of their nearly 112 spots, 60% go to Missouri residents, 25-30% go to regional, and 10-15% go to out of state applicants. Overall, in the past couple of years UMKC has only accepted 15-20 out of state applicants, out of the nearly 1000+ total applicants. So yes, your chances improve significantly if you live in Missouri. However this program is not reason enough to pack up your life and move. Even if you do move there is no guarantee that your son will be admitted. While I'm sure his stats are outstanding, there are many other factors such as the essay and interview that go into determining admission.

I would take a look at other programs in the nation before you make any hasty decisions.

I hope this helped, and best of luck to you and your son!
  • MissMed12MissMed12 Posts: 17Registered User New Member
    Hey guys. First off, Congratulations to those who have an interview! And to those who don't or are alternate listed- don't sweat it! So I got accepted to this program last year as a regional applicant. My biggest advice would be to make sure not to focus on any one thing. ACTs are important, good grades are important, ECs are especially important. However, I have never seen a school truly pick a person who is well-rounded better than UMKC for this program. Honestly, you could be the biggest genius and not get in because what they look for is your potential to be a successful doctor, not necessarily how bright you are. It's really fair game for anyone. Loosen up, prepare well, and hope for the best! And oh... make sure to KILL it at the interview You kind of got to sell yourself and give them a taste of what you stand for. If anyone wants any advice or help, feel free to ask!