Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

sat subject tests

trekslxchicktrekslxchick Posts: 157Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in Williams College
Does getting less than 700 (in this case a 680) on one of the two required subject tests rule one out of admissions chances for Williams? ACTs are at or above the 75th percentile, grades/rigor of curriculum are excellent....just wondering if that subject test is like a veto.
Post edited by trekslxchick on

Replies to: sat subject tests

• GratisfactionGratisfaction Posts: 258Registered User Junior Member
    Your Common App won't even submit with a sub-700 score.
  • marvin100marvin100 Posts: 976Registered User Member
    Very funny. No, it doesn't "rule one out," but it definitely doesn't help. ACTs "above the 75th percentile" are also not particularly impressive, I might add.

Nobody on CC can tell you authoritatively that any qualification or lack thereof could be a "veto" or a "sure thing," but it's pretty well known that Williams rarely accepts students with unimpressive scores--with the exception of a few recruited athletes and otherwise "tipped" applicants.
  • trekslxchicktrekslxchick Posts: 157Registered User Junior Member
    Lol Gratisfaction! :)

Had hoped ACT 34 might compensate for lower SAT subject test. We'll call it a high reach. Thanks Marvin100.

Anyone admitted with less than 700 subject test and no hook/tip, let us know!
  • peetamellarkpeetamellark Posts: 51Registered User Junior Member
    ^Hopping on this boat as well, how do SAT Subjects help you? Do they make or break your admission? I got an 800 on History and 720 on English (I absolutely bombed it). Will the lower score look bad?
  • Syoung2Syoung2 Posts: 348Registered User Junior Member
    By 75th percentile, I think the OP meant for Williams, not against the national average. A 34 ACT is a great score, even for Williams.
  • InpersonalInpersonal Posts: 150Registered User Junior Member
    Yes, your ACT are good.
    ACT 34 is 98/99 national percentile (depending on the test date).
    I guess marvin thought that your ACT was 24/25, which is in the 75 national percentile.
  • marvin100marvin100 Posts: 976Registered User Member
    Yes, Inpersonal, that's definitely what I thought. A 34 is very strong and will absolutely not hurt your chances at all!