Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Strengths and Weaknesses for Yale?

my88keysmy88keys Posts: 1,218Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2012 in Yale University
I am a girl going into my junior year in high school. I'd really like to go to Yale. What should I do to better my application?

UW GPA: 3.93
(I probably would be higher, but my freshman year was a little shaky. But since I'm doing better, I'll probably rise)
I haven't taken the SAT yet, but my last practice test score was a 2240.

I took AP World History and got a 3, unfortunately.

Throughout high school, I plan to take AP: Calculus, US History, French, Biology or Chemistry, English 3, English 4, Government, Economics, Psychology, and Music Theory.

I take Honors/Pre-AP classes whenever available.

EC's:
President of French Club
French National Honor Society
National Honor Society
Student Council
Panther Pals - A program where upperclassmen go to underclassmen dens and take a "leadership" role there
Varsity Tennis
Played piano for eleven years (But only taken lessons for eight of those)
Taken drum lessons for three years
Have a part-time job at my church as a child-care worker
Plan to get a summer job next summer
Shadowed a doctor (20 hours)
HOSA
Academic Team

Volunteer Work:
World Changers - A camp where we fix houses for those in need.
Vacation Bible School
Acteens - A mission group at my church
Kidstown - A program for kids, in my church (for part of freshman year)
*I'll try to get more. I"m going to try and volunteer at a hospital.*

Awards: (I don't have many)
Tennis Freshman Girls Singles District Champ (I might have been JV last year, but I tore my ACL)
I have had perfect attendance nine years of my life (Probably irrelevant).
I was also nominated for the Chemistry Pre-AP Award, but I didn't win.
I'm in the G&T program.
*I'm going to try for NMS (I'm pretty sure I made NAF, though)*
*I compete in French Symposium every year, and hope to win an award this year. I also may win an award in Academic Team.*

I don't know how much of a difference this makes a difference but I am a black female. I was born in England and moved here when I was about five.

P.S. Could you tell me what you think of my chances for other Ivies as well?
Post edited by my88keys on

Replies to: Strengths and Weaknesses for Yale?

• PhilovitistPhilovitist Posts: 2,737Registered User Senior Member
    Your chances are good.
  • my88keysmy88keys Posts: 1,218Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks for answering, but could you expand a little? What are some things I could work on?
  • quiverfoxquiverfox Posts: 888Registered User Member
    I am thinking, you want to get to yale medical school ?? anyways, your scores and EC's are good, but you should try to change 'participated'/'nominated'/'try' to 'won' or 'did'. I think that is what makes a real difference at these top tier schools.
    Well I'm applying this year, so I will find out about my deductions soon !
    Just keep doin what you're doing.
  • T26E4T26E4 Posts: 16,724Registered User Senior Member
    my88: I'm sure Philovist means you all the best but he/she is only a HS student. To blithely say your "chances are good" when Yale is expected to accept near 7% just flies in the face of logic. Even the top most applicants must know that the overall chances are not good at all.

That being said, you look to be in line with a very successful college career. Whether it be Yale or elsewhere, best of luck to you.
    I think T26E4 is wrong to suggest that your chances are not good at all just because Yale's acceptance rate is 7%.

Your chances of getting in are much higher than 7%, especially if you apply early. They are probably around 40%. Maybe higher. Maybe lower. In that range.
  • lacrossemomlacrossemom Posts: 630Registered User Member
    Your chances are good. Take the SAT early enough so you can retake if needed in junior year. Make sure you apply early decision.

Good luck!
  • T26E4T26E4 Posts: 16,724Registered User Senior Member
    "Your chances of getting in are much higher than 7%"

Based on what?

Philo: We'll have to agree to disagree. When you say this young lady's chances are 40%, you're stating to her that statistically, she's almost six times more likely than other applicants. I don't know of anyone outside of a recruited athlete that is so desired by Yale.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/yale-university/1304717-official-yale-class-2016-rd-results-thread.html

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/yale-university/1253634-official-yale-class-2016-scea-results-thread.html

Here are peoples' yes/no summaries. Look at some of the rejected students. Also there is no advantage to SCEA applicants over RD applicants at Yale.

But to be frank, I disagree with anyone citing a "percentage". I would say that even a Yale admissions officer wouldn't go do such a thing.

Good is relative. I would agree 40% is good. I just doubt there are many people extant who have a "good" chance whatsoever.

To my88: best of luck to you. You've already gotten some great achievements. Keep up the great work!
    When you say this young lady's chances are 40%, you're stating to her that statistically, she's almost six times more likely than other applicants.

Well, yes. Do you see her stats? And her URM status (which indeed does matter)? Show me how many black female SCEAers applied to Yale with stats like those who got rejected. I'd predict that it's much less than 90%.
    But to be frank, I disagree with anyone citing a "percentage". I would say that even a Yale admissions officer wouldn't go do such a thing.

Sure, but we aren't admissions officers. We are chancers.

There are sites that do this based off of hard data. Parchment.com, for example, gives rough (and probably optimistic, considering how it collects data) percentage chances based on a person's stats and the stats and admission success of comparably qualified applicants in past rounds. My percentage guess is a rough estimate based from my experience from this site.

I actually think Parchment (which offers the most less crappy of crappy ways of chancing available that I've found) would predict her chances to be around 50% (meaning that 1 in 2 people last year with stats like hers got accepted). But I'm unwilling to go that far.

You might disagree with my method, and I won't pretend that I hve any of this down to a science or anything. My guess is as good as anyone's. However, it's still my guess.
  • Kdog044Kdog044 Posts: 1,452Registered User Senior Member
    Philovitist, what stats do you see that you feel are that outstanding as I am not seeing them?
  • HuntHunt Posts: 22,419Registered User Senior Member
    OP is a URM. Even without that, her stats seem quite good and suggest that she will get into many fine colleges. Whether Yale will be one of them is hard to say. But as a URM, her chances at excellent results are even better.

OP asked at the beginning of her post what she should do differently. Until I read the end of her post, I was going to say, "Try to do some things that aren't so stereotypically Asian."
    Philovitist, what stats do you see that you feel are that outstanding as I am not seeing them?

To be frank, it's the URM status that gives her a good shot.

I might have glossed over the ECs too quickly. Quite a bit of it seems fillery...
  • my88keysmy88keys Posts: 1,218Registered User Senior Member
    Also, I did get these awards: Duke TIP State Recognized, French Symposium Poetry Semi-Finalist. I don't know how good they are, but I remembered them, so I thought that I'd mention them.

Also, would be Tennis Team Captain and Math Team Captain look good as well?
  • SikorskySikorsky Posts: 5,851Registered User Senior Member
    T26E4 is a Yale alum who's been active in interviewing and recruitment for Yale. T26E4 knows the score here.

OP, you're well positioned to have a great experience at some leading university or college. But Yale is an exceedingly tough nut to crack, even for students who are #1 in their class and have SATs 100 points higher. Anybody who says otherwise is blowing smoke.

Could it happen for you? Absolutely! Should you (or anyone) bank on it? Definitely not.

Sent from my DROIDX using CC
  • YoHoYoHoYoHoYoHo Posts: 1,334Registered User Senior Member
    I'd play up the Black female angle. Although I get the impression that your socioeconomic status might not a lot of diversity to colleges (e.g. you seem fairly well off), the Black female angle will give you a boost.

Unfortunately, your ECs seem rather a dime-a-dozen, although I'm sure that you spent a lot of time with them and worked hard on them. The most intriguing ones to me are some of your more unique volunteer work (World Changers - A camp where we fix houses for those in need); so I would delve deeper and at a higher level on some of those and let some of the other ECs go.

Of course Tennis team captain and Math team captain look just fine. But you have to realize that THOUSANDS of tennis team captains and math team captains are applying (also regional/state athletes and mathaletes) . Thus, the volunteer work is what sets you apart (or find something else which sets you apart).