Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Yale Class of 2018 SCEA Discussion thread

Replies to: Yale Class of 2018 SCEA Discussion thread

• SpoolManSpoolMan Registered User Posts: 274 Junior Member
    Accepted :)
  • luckystar324luckystar324 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    @gibby Thank you so much!
  • moosemary1984moosemary1984 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Can I submit updates on my extracurricular activities? Thank you for correcting me, I must have misunderstood some previous posts.
  • thelemonisinplaythelemonisinplay Registered User Posts: 494 Member
    Congrats SpoolMan! That's awesome :) why do you think you were accepted? Was there anything in your app that made you stand out?
  • viv158308viv158308 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    Accepted :)
  • LK5D67LK5D67 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    anyone know how long decisions will be up for? (planning on waiting till finals are over at the end of the week, then looking)
  • dancingwriterdancingwriter Registered User Posts: 443 Member
    How the heck are you resisting the urge?!
  • SculptingSculpting Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Congrats to all those accepted! And for those who were deferred/rejected, I've been impressed with how gracious you've been to your fellow posters. My son got deferred as well, as did all the other students from his school who applied EA/ED to Yale, Harvard, MIT and Stanford. I know most of them and they are a terrific bunch of kids. I'm a little sorry my son used his early action choice for Yale, but I'm really proud how well he managed this application process himself and I know he'll find a spot where he belongs.
  • IxnayBobIxnayBob Registered User Posts: 3,993 Senior Member
    @Sculpting, I echo your sentiments about graciousness. My son's school has had generally good results this year, better than in most years, but I've been touched by how considerate and supportive the kids (among them some normally brash, loud, 17-year old tough guys) have been to their classmates. It reminds me of how surprisingly protective young kids who no longer believe in Santa can be of the feelings of younger kids who still believe.

Re your son's use of his early action choice: it is difficult to know how these things will play out. Whatever happens, it will probably be a little cloud of dust in his rear view mirror before he even realizes it. Any kid whose application to Yale is not a prank is headed for a great education/life at Yale or elsewhere.
  • MarioandluigiMarioandluigi Registered User Posts: 194 Junior Member
    Does anyone have any rough numbers for scea-->rd admits (although my hopes aren't too high). The email said it was about the rd rate. Is that higher or lower?
  • cbacba Registered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    ^^the RD rate will be around 6% or a little less, so it is lower than the SCEA rate. Once deferred, you are in the RD pool so the RD rate applies.
  • SculptingSculpting Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Thanks for your post, @ixnaybob. I have been pondering the numbers in terms of what it means for next year's class and beyond at my son's school. It's an excellent public school, but the guidance councillors are overworked and inexperienced, so it's traditional that the top students apply to one of only 5 or 6 choices early, and then when most of them don't get in, they apply to our regional schools.

Last year, at the school's book awards, I was amazed to hear of some really outstanding accomplishments by various kids, and think they would have been viable contenders for some of the competitive scholar programs at places like UNC and Davidson, to name a few. The students don't know about them, or think they should apply to just certain schools, and it seems like a wasted opportunity. I think I may make up a list to help the guidance councillors out next year. :)
  • IxnayBobIxnayBob Registered User Posts: 3,993 Senior Member
    ^^^ My son goes to a school with GCs with a reasonable workload. They vary in capability, but most of the academically strong kids are matched with the stronger GCs, and even the "weaker" ones are not bad.

In the past, one of my older kids went to a school that didn't seem to care. The GCs were not overworked, but it seemed that they applied for the job because the DMV had no openings.

I'm afraid that, as wrong as it is, a large part of the job still falls on the kids and their parents. Not wrong that they have work to do, but wrong that they get so little guidance and sometimes it is actually 180 degree wrong advice. I know a parent who was told by a GC that is was better to get an A in an easier course than risk getting a B in a rigorous course; unfortunately the parent believed them because "they're the experts." I better end this before it becomes an outright rant.

On a more positive note: all best wishes to your child.
  • Tperry1982Tperry1982 Registered User Posts: 1,484 Senior Member
    My D got accepted! Opening the link was the most stressful thing in the world yesterday but well worth it. She is not applying anywhere else and had just applied to her state school (University of Maryland, College Park) along with the Yale app.

Best of luck to those that were deferred and for those that did not get in, the sky is still the limit. I am sure your parents have already told you this.
  • SpoolManSpoolMan Registered User Posts: 274 Junior Member
    @thelemonisinplay
    It's hard to pinpoint one thing. For sure, my scores were not all that impressive (but not bad). I think I showed a strong passion for science/engineering and just told my story in my common app essay. Word of advice: try to show them ALL of who you are. I know many kids who just write about how great they are at math or science or piano or whatever. I think one of the reasons my application was different was because I wrote about how bad I was at a no-cut varsity sport I did and how much I loved it anyways. It was a different side of me that wasn't academic, which is always nice to know too.
This discussion has been closed.