Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Yale vs. Stanford

KerryKallyKerryKally Posts: 20Registered User New Member
edited April 2006 in Yale University
I am curious about which would you guys choose. I have posted this tread on Stanford's forum and all the replies there seem to " Stanford, for sure". So i want to hear opinions here. any suggestions?
Post edited by KerryKally on

Replies to: Yale vs. Stanford

• wrathofgod64wrathofgod64 Posts: 2,217Registered User Senior Member
    wow, i'm in the same situation too. Yale has always been my first choice, but as an aspiring premed, I've heard Stanford's program is the top in the nation. On the other hand, I've lived in Cali (30 min away from Stanford) all my life, so I would like to experience the East Coast. I'm curious too to see if anyone has any suggestions.
  • sunninightssunninights Posts: 51Registered User Junior Member
    I have the same question too!

I'll go read up on the answers on the Stanford board, but it would be great to hear input here too. I flipped a couple coins today but wasn't very happy with the results...
  • bobbobbobbobbobbob Posts: 4,772Registered User Senior Member
    godamn i wish i had that choice.
  • zephyr151zephyr151 Posts: 1,659Registered User Senior Member
    Suninlights, your unhappiness with the coin flips should indicate your decision, then.

As for Stanford's premed program, it's very strong. Stanford offers both Biological Sciences and Human Biology majors, and undergraduate research is VERY prevalent and open to freshmen. And they do not try to "weed" out kids in orgo--it's a difficult course but not designed to flunk half the class--from what I hear.
  • athena_wilesathena_wiles Posts: 217Registered User Junior Member
    try searching for last year's posts on this question - there were some really good comments about both schools on this option. here are just a few thoughts:

location - do you want an urban environment (New Haven is great if you're into the community service scene) or a campus that's a bit set back from activity (Stanford is near downtown palo alto, but just far enough away that it's sometimes too much trouble to leave campus)? My comment about New Haven is that people say it's awful, but I really don't think it is - there are these amazing secluded beautiful spots in the college courtyards and such, so if you want to totally cut yourself off from everything you can, but at the same time you're in the center of a lot of activity. Palo Alto is a little... um... too calm for me (maybe that's just 'coz I grew up there, though, I suppose). Both cities have easy access to a major city (NY or SF) by train.

curriculum - PLEASE don't choose your college based on which has the "better" premed program. Both schools get students into med schools at really high rates, and there are SO MANY MORE IMPORTANT THINGS that will affect your college experience. That being said, look at distributional requirements, courses offered in your prospective major, etc. and see what appeals to you.

I'll post more later (got to run to Yale's Relay for Life right now), but really, they're both amazing schools, just with very different characteristics... pick the one that you feel "fits" you best. I love Yale, but I do recognize that for some people, Stanford/etc. is a better place.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, but please do try searching for the old threads too.

(Oh, and if you're wondering, I go to Yale but I grew up near Stanford and have spent a lot of time on campus both during the school year and not. I definitely know more about Yale, but I can try to at least give you some comparative perspective...)

wrathofgod, I'd highly recommend you to seriously consider Yale. I know from personal experience that I've gained a whole new perspective on a lot of things since moving away from the bay area, and if yale has always been your first choice and you'd like to experience the East Coast, please don't let Stanford's reputation of having a better premed program turn you away. At this level, having a "better premed program" is just splitting hairs, and there are really other aspects of the college experience that should be much more important in making your final decision!
  • KerryKallyKerryKally Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    If I want to do business( or set up my own companies) in the future, will Stanford be a better choice?
  • ziriezirie Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    athena_wiles, is there really a very strong anti-harvard sentiment at yale? rivalries are fine, but i don't want to spend four years listening to continuous harvard bashing. seems a waste of time
  • posterXposterX Posts: 2,246Registered User Senior Member
    Yale has a much stronger premed program. In terms of acceptance rate into the nation's top medical schools, the top premed programs in the United States are Caltech, Yale and MIT.

Stanford ranks 10th after these three plus Amherst, Dartmouth, Harvard, Swarthmore, Princeton and Columbia.

One of Yale's strengths is that it pretty much has more scientific research expenditure per science major than any other university in the country, except Caltech. Undergrads can get a gig working in any of the top labs, if they want to.
  • ByerlyByerly Posts: 7,019- Senior Member
    A bizarre claim. Whatever it was based on (no links provided) it certainly wasn't based on THIS:

http://www.wsjclassroomedition.com/college/feederschools.htm
    kerrykally - for that, yeah, I think Stanford might be better (if only because of Palo Alto/silicon valley's recent history of being a place for startups). I'm not sure, though - try contacting both schools and ask whether or not they have mentoring programs etc. On Yale's side, you might also want to see if the Yale Entrepreneurial Society (http://www.yes.yale.edu/) can give you any info. I suspect there's an equivalent group at Stanford, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head and you'll probably need to do a bit of poking around to find it.

zirie - we goof off about the harvard-yale rivalry a lot, but it's not like a bitter "I HATE HARVARD" with a passion sort of thing. I don't think I've met anyone here who really hates Harvard, we just say we do because it's tradition ;) I can tell you, though, that when all the Harvard students were here for the Harvard-Yale game this year, my friends and I had a lot of fun hanging out with the Harvard students we were hosting, and we were all envious of aspects of each others' schools (we liked Boston, they liked our academic calendar, etc.) and we got along just fine. So no, I wouldn't say there's a "very strong anti-harvard sentiment at yale" - to me at least it feels like it's much more of a running joke, and while it gets waaaaaay too prevalent/really old around the time of the Game every year, most of the time you don't notice it too much.
    Byerly, stop posting that terribly biased and methodologically-poor link and passing it off as real data.
  • KerryKallyKerryKally Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    What about Williams? Which would you choose among the three( Yale, Stan, and Williams)? I would like to hear ANY opinion.
    It's hard to match the culture, opportunities and academics of Stanford. Students are indeed happy.
  • klcklc Posts: 241Registered User Junior Member
    Yale places students in internships on both coasts & everywhere in between, as does Stanford!
    zephyr - you might be right, but I could just as easily say that it's hard to match the culture, opportunities, and academics of Yale as well. Students are happy here too :) It really all depends on your perspective!

Really, I mean, at this level, comparing schools is just splitting hairs. They're both amazing. Really.