Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Yale 2021 Applicants

Replies to: Yale 2021 Applicants

• jakea33jakea33 Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    I know multiple people who are in the class of 2020 and got accepted into amazing schools with below-average test scores. I have realized that test scores bring you into consideration, but are not always used to decide between candidates. My hope is that I can show my passion for politics and languages and that it works.
  • I_Love_StanfordI_Love_Stanford Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    Wow, you seem like a very impressive candidate! Do you know how Yale views class rank? I'm in the top 15% (weighted) because I didn't take academics seriously enough in freshman and sophomore year.
    It depends, I don't think Yale allows applicants to choose which scores they send. Otherwise, I would probably just send your best scores :)
    http://admissions.yale.edu/faq/standardized-testing I checked to make sure but if you go to the FAQ there it says that you can pick which testing agency to send from so I won't send my ACT. And thanks so much! As for rank, it is definitely a positive thing to be ranked highly. However, it is not essential for admission as far as I know to be at the top of your class. Almost all students at yale were in the top 10% but if you otherwise show passion and that you're a good candidate it definitely won't rule you out to not be in the top 10%.
    Thank you! It worries me because it says that 95% of the admitted students were in the top 10% of their class. I don't know if this is "by chance" or if this is almost "a requirement". Have you started working on your Common App essays?
    Also, do you think you'll apply REA to Yale in the fall?
    Most likely. I haven't been obsessed with Yale all my life. I preferred Uchicago Berkeley and Penn before but recently I have been in love with the idea of going to Yale. Not in the shallow way of loving the name and prestige, but for the amazing education. Yale is excellent for poli sci econ english and all areas I am considering and I love how the social scene seems. I would be naive to say that I know it's the school for me for sure, but it definitely feels right when I think about it.

I have put thought into what I will be writing but I don't like what I write every time I try lol. I honestly feel like I will change my essay topic up until the day I have to submit it. I plan to put a lot of time into the essays and application process at the end of the month so that I am not doing it all during school. But yeah, you just really will have to show a unique personality and adept writing skills. Everyone will be lackluster in one area; it's just a matter of how well you make up for it in other ways.
  • FlyingCelineFlyingCeline Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    Stats??
  • jhosk10jhosk10 Registered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
    edited July 2016
    Obviously one needs to have good grades and test scores to get into a school like Yale. Extracurriculars are also very important. However, admissions officers can tell the difference between truly well rounded applicants and those who are doing stuff just to have a one up on their application. The essays and interviews are very important because they show personality and diversity, which is what is most schools want. Be yourself, don't try to make yourself look like something that Yale might want because odds are, that won't work. If you still aren't accepted, then maybe it wasn't in the cards for you and move on. If you work hard at it, you can be successful anywhere. With that said, Yale is a great school and anyone would be lucky to get accepted.
    Are you applying to Yale this year?
  • Nimisha99Nimisha99 Registered User Posts: 207 Junior Member
    I don't think I have any chance. Will I get in if I have no extracurriculars but great scores and GPA? I am an international applicant.
  • yalehopeful11yalehopeful11 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Just heard of this model un summer camp at Yale, but i'm not sure if a camp like this is really worth going to or will help me get in. Anyone else heard of this/been to it in the past? It's called YMUN Institute

I'm a sophomore and I've dreamt of going to Yale for as long as I remember so any help or advice on this camp is appreciated
    Extracurriculars are important. My advice would be to make yourself sound interesting in your essays (but make sure to be genuine), and if there's a reason why you couldn't do many extracurriculars (i.e. maybe you had a big responsibility at home), I would definitely talk about it.