Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Yale 2021 Applicants

Replies to: Yale 2021 Applicants

• T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    edited July 2016
    @yalehopeful11 No summer program at Yale will enhance your eventual chances as a Yale undergrad applicant per se. YMUN is the purview of a student organization, Yale International Relations Association. Yale rents its facilities to several organizations who hope to capitalize on the Yale brand such as this one and some other for-profit summer ventures. They are not official Yale events.

You could easily attend the summer program at your nearby college -- and it'd have the same effect -- which is almost nil.

One last bit of advice, as fantastic as Yale is, don't fetishize Yale or any single school. You'll only set yourself up for disappointment and be blinded to tons of other great schools extant.
  • yalehopeful017yalehopeful017 Registered User Posts: 254 Junior Member
    Is anyone applying as an English major?!
  • rebecca12345rebecca12345 Registered User Posts: 198 Junior Member
  • yalehopeful017yalehopeful017 Registered User Posts: 254 Junior Member
    Ooh! May the best English major win then ;)
  • Tperry1982Tperry1982 Registered User Posts: 1,415 Senior Member
    Unlike a lot of schools,Yale does not make students decide on a major until the end of sophomore year. Therefore, you can change and what you put on your application is less important than some other places. It will make some difference however, if you say you want to be a chem major and your high school transcript is light on hard science courses. On the other hand, my D wanted to be a Classics major at first (is now a Literature major) and her high school transcript did not have physics or calculus on it. Each and every student is an individual and Yale is very committed to holistic admissions. Good luck to all of you!!
  • Seniors.yikes.usSeniors.yikes.us Registered User Posts: 144 Junior Member
    @Tperry1982 I thought it was kind of funny that despite this attitude (which drew me to Yale) they still make you list three majors (no more, no less, though undecided is an option) and justify why you're interested in them.
  • Tperry1982Tperry1982 Registered User Posts: 1,415 Senior Member
    Yes they do ask you to list a major and it is actually one of the few bits of information that alumni interviewers have on their applicants. I guess it does help them to get a sense of whether or not your high school class choices jive with what your intended major will be. I am sure that most people stick pretty close to what they first stated - STEM stay STEM related, more liberal artsy type stay in that realm. What is so wonderful about Yale is that when students get there they are exposed to so much that they often gravitate toward majors that they never even considered.
  • Seniors.yikes.usSeniors.yikes.us Registered User Posts: 144 Junior Member
    @Tperry1982 I meant more the supplement about them than the listing. (Not that it's a big deal in the grand scheme of things.)
  • jengelsjengels Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I have a 3.97 UW GPA and 34 ACT (35 superscored), and great ECs. Do you think I have a chance? I did REA
  • IxnayBobIxnayBob Registered User Posts: 3,777 Senior Member
    @jengeis, you know the drill. You have a good chance, as do many who will be rejected. It mostly depends on LoRs, essays, the flavor of your ECs, etc. Good luck.
  • Danny3895Danny3895 Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    Hello! I will be applying to Yale for regular decisions. I took my ACT this weekend, and was wondering if it would be fine if I send my scores after I view them, i.e, maybe after the RD deadline?
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    Yes. I believe Yale even accepts the January sitting. What does that tell you?
  • turkeybaconturkeybacon Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    man everyone's talking about perfect test scores and GPAs when i only have a 3.6 UW (7/7 weighted & double legacy/faculty though)
  • Danny3895Danny3895 Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    @T26E4 Just found out that they even accept Feb ACT so I believe I am pretty good now.
  • yitian9898yitian9898 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    edited December 2016
    What about applying to one of those engineering majors? There is even an extra engineering essay required. Is it Yale's way of gauging applicant's interest in Engineering? Or applying to engineering major(s) doesn't help? I know that Yale is working hard towards attracting/recruiting Engineering applicants.