Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Yale 2021 Applicants

Replies to: Yale 2021 Applicants

• DryMangoDryMango Registered User Posts: 304 Member
    Is this the main Yale discussion thread? There's not much going on lol.
  • MemmsmomMemmsmom Registered User Posts: 452 Member
    This is the right place but there have been more individual questions being posted as threads over asking questions here. I am sure that it will pick up again once interviews start and nerves set in. I think everyone is either shell shocked from all of the application deadlines over the holidays and recovering from being deferred SCEA. It will pick up again.
  • londondadlondondad Registered User Posts: 2,049 Senior Member
    ^ Or they are refocusing on their studies so any acceptances don't get later revoked!!
  • ANormalSeniorGuyANormalSeniorGuy Registered User Posts: 288 Junior Member
    I have no idea on my chance, I still think its gonna be a no. here are my stats:

Objective:
    ACT: 34 composite (35 English, 31 Math, 36 Reading, 33 Science)
    GPA: Unweighted 3.7 (my school has a college grading system, so if I went to public school it would be in the 3.9's)
    Weighted: 4.32 (same issue as above, would be more in the 4.7's - 4.8's, but I could be wrong)
    School Type: Private, International Baccalaureate
    Intended major(s): 1. Business, 2. Econ, 3. Music
    Ethnicity/Race: White
    Income Bracket: Middle- Upper-Middle

Awards/important recomenders:
    Outstanding Scholar in IB Business Award
    Outstanding actor in lead role in school play award
    Honor roll all 4 years
    All State Orchestra member
    2nd place in several speech and debate tournaments
    Stanford Econ professor who apparently loved my research paper
    Music teacher at Stanford for Double Bass
    Teacher recs all 10/10

E.C's:
    Have Played Double Bass for around 10 years, as was principal at Stanford's youth orchestra and was second chair in their university orchestra
    Have toured internationally with another orchestra
    Principal (first chair) for some smaller orchestras as well
    Vice President of Econ and Stock Market Club
    T.A. for IB Econ Class
    National Merit Commended Scholar
    Have a 3.8 GPA/transcript at Stanford, as I already took classes
    3rd degree black belt in Taekwondo
    Lead Actor in school play

I have more small stuff like volunteer activities, but I don't remember them right now. My overview is that Double Bass is a rare instrument and is desirable, but I'm not perfect/not developed enough. Yale music is so hard I dont think they will take my music seriously.

Thoughts?
    Thanks
  • WhatSallyWhatSally Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    My ds just finished his interview with a local alumni. "It was fun" in his words. Any idea how much weight the interview carries?
  • greenteen17greenteen17 Registered User Posts: 600 Member
    @What???!! I just had my Yale interview (from 8-9) - mine was fun as well :)

My interviewer started off like this:" here's the good news - this interview doesn't count for much in admissions. Here's the bad news - this interview doesn't count for much in admissions." She said it's mostly designed so that she can give over things about me that may not be in my application and for me to learn more about Yale.

Hope this helped!
  • Bulldog2017Bulldog2017 Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    @ANormalSeniorGuy lol Yale doesn't have a business major.
  • ANormalSeniorGuyANormalSeniorGuy Registered User Posts: 288 Junior Member
    i know, im just stating what my interests are mainly. just copy paste
  • GettingRektGettingRekt Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    edited January 12
    hey guys! I'm a little worried (a lot) because my school had at least five applicants to Yale this year (combining deferred SCEA and RD) and only one of us got an interview. i didn't think i was THAT bad. does not getting an interview mean that your application has probably already been thrown out and/or checked with an "unlikely" status? Any information would be much appreciated (should i stop hoping for Yale?)
  • IxnayBobIxnayBob Registered User Posts: 3,995 Senior Member
    @GettingRekt, please, please, read back on CC about interviews, and see where active interviewers say, repeatedly, that the Yale.interview assignment process is driven by the number of applicants in an area and the number of interviewers available to do the interview. There is not a determination of likel/unlikely. Your chances for Yale, assuming you're qualified, were always low, as the majority of applicants are not offered admission.

Cast a wide net. Good luck.
  • chipsharkchipshark Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Does Yale accept December ACT scores... my scores just came in yesterday??
  • hhjjlalahhjjlala Registered User Posts: 726 Member
    Checking in. Yale deferred applicant here. Sent in a LOCI and an additional writing sample.
  • DryMangoDryMango Registered User Posts: 304 Member
    @chipshark Yale most definitely accepts December scores. They even accept February scores sometimes.
  • GettingRektGettingRekt Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    @IxnayBob Right. But my area has no shortage of Yale alum, so it doesn't really add up.
  • IxnayBobIxnayBob Registered User Posts: 3,995 Senior Member
    @GettingRekt , if you insist on reading meaning into a situation which people with experience and knowledge have repeatedly said is without meaning, well, I guess there's nothing left to say.