Hi! This is my first post on CC and I just wanted to get a general feel of what I should improve/focus on the most as the admission season kicks off. All criticism is welcome, and even applying this to the general admissions climate of the Ivies would be awesome!
Possible Major: Yale's Ethics/Economics/&Politics
Applying Financial Aid: N
School: Private/Co-Ed/College Prep
ACT: C: 33 E: 35 M: 34 R: 33 S: 31 W: 11 (I didn't really have too much time to study/retake standardized tests because in the beginning of my junior year, my mother was diagnosed with late stage breast cancer, and I had to juggle school with an already heavy plate, but I'm not really sure how to explain that without making it sound like a pity/sob story)
SAT II: Math I: 740, US History: 710 (I know, yikes! Should I submit these? I'll be retaking them soon.)
Sophomore Year: AP Music Theory (3), AP European History (4)
Junior Year: AP Macroeconomics (5), AP Microeconomics (4), AP US History (5)
Senior Year Courseload: AP Stats, AP Lang, AP Comp. Gov, AP US Gov, AP Comp Principles, AP Psych.
GPA: 4.00 Unweighted
Class Rank: School does not rank, but I believe the Top quintile (20%)
Honors/Awards: National Honor Society, 2017 West Point Leadership Award, AP Scholar, School's High Ranking Scholar Awards, Headmaster's List
Recommendations: One is from my Economics Teacher, who has known me for 6 years, and another is from my English Teacher. I hope they'll be good! My debate coach also wants to send in an extra if he can, and if I need another rec, I plan on asking my an Emeritus Trustee for a great state school.
Essays: I have a few ideas, I think they'll be good!
I helped write the Topic Education paper for the Cross Examination Debate Association with my coach (PhD), which was on critical race theory.
Co-Founder/CEO of a conservative political organization that strives to tie together a polarized America by promoting intellectual diversity.
- 10k followers on Instagram
- Pending Endorsement from the Republican Congressional Committee
- Endorsements from many Senators, Congressmen/women, and other notable figures/public figures
- Has a website of 60+ staff writers that contribute Op-Eds
- Partnered with a local Congressman at an initiative to better the lives of Veterans.
Intern for local Republican Party
Chairman of local chapter of Teenage Republicans
- Attended National Conference representing chapter
Social Media Director for a fairly notable NGO/Think Tank that works with North Korean defectors and promotes democracy, human rights, and other basic freedoms in North Korea via radio from South Korea.
- Current Junior Assistant Scoutmaster
- Eagle Scout, (2016)
- Eagle Scout Bronze Palm (2017)
- Started from Tiger Cub (2006)
- Arrow of Light Recipient, Highest Ranking Honor to a Webelos Scout
- Senior Patrol Leader, Highest Senior Leadership Position in Boy Scout Troop
- Troop Guide
- Patrol Leader
- Troop Bugler
- Den Chief, Training Cub Scouts for transition into Boy Scouting
- National “Buckskin/NYLT” Leadership Training Certified
- 2015 Unit of Excellence Award
- 2015 National Camping Award
- United States Military Academy Corps of Cadets Congratulatory Letter
- U.S. Army Youth Certificate of Recognition
- Scouting CPR Certified
- Co-Captain of a National Caliber Policy Debate Team
- National Speech and Debate Association Recipient of the Degree of Special Distinction
- Harvard Forensics Invitational Semifinalist & Octofinalist (two years in a row)
- Harvard Forensics Invitational 6th Speaker
- Wake Forest Policy Invitational Semifinalist & Octofinalist (two years in a row)
- Wake Forest Policy Invitational 1st & 25th Speaker
- University of Nevada Las Vegas Desert Invitational 1st Speaker
- National Debate Coach’s Association Baker Points Ranked 27th Best in the Nation
- National Forensics League National Qualifier (Four Years in a Row)
- Attended Debate Institutes over every summer since 8th grade besides pre-senior year- Ranged from 3-7 weeks,
Georgetown, Michigan State, University of North Texas,
- Summer Counselor, School's 1 Week Debate Camp, Past 3 years
- University of Texas-Dallas Debate Recruit
- Captain of School's Fencing Team
- Captain of Epee and Foil Team when studied abroad in England
- United States Fencing Association Nationally Ranked Fencer/NAC Qualified
- 1st Place at my City's Marathon (Continuous) 2008-2012
- Ranked Fencer for the British Fencing Association
- Quarterfinalist British Public Schools Team National Championships
- Spent a term in England of my sophomore year, went to school at an Oxford/Cambridge Feeder
- Studied as a Second Year- Placed in Top Sets.
- Studied in Mollet, Spain, located right outside of Barcelona
- (Will be exchanging with) a top-ranked university affiliated school in Beijing (Spring break of senior year)
- I've worked for my parent's business
- I was in my school's Jazz Ensemble, I played the Trumpet and Piano
- I am an admission guide for my school
- I've played the piano for 13 years, I've won a few awards here and there, mostly on the district level
- I'm a 1st degree black belt in Tang Soo Do,
- I used to draw when I had the chance, and most pieces I submitted would win 1st place ribbons at the state fair
- I was an intern at my local Cancer Center, which ranks very high in the nation, shadowing a doctor in Oncology
- I'm a choir pianist for my church
- I am a person that is very grateful, and I am very thankful to you if you read everything!
I have lurked on a few threads and I realize that these "Chancings" hold little to no weight, but I just wanted to get feedback from others that have more experience than me in the admissions field!
Thank you so much for evaluating me!