Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Is 32 ACT good enough for Yale?

Replies to: Is 32 ACT good enough for Yale?

• planner03planner03 Registered User Posts: 1,156 Senior Member
    edited September 12

I do remember seeing that the quadruplets had scores lower than a 32 ACT and the were all accepted to Yale. I don't believe being one of a identical quadruplet, is considered a hook.

I have to disagree with you there. They were national news and certainly the biggest college story of the 2017 cycle. Not only that, they were outstanding applicants and African American to boot. The publicity they were sure to generate for the college they selected was certainly a hook.
  • 1Tiger211Tiger21 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    edited September 12
    @Planner03 I didn't realize that potential publicity was considered a hook. I suppose that could be a stretch of their holistic review of all applicants. Anyways , I still think that an above average highly motivated applicant has close to an equal chance, minus hooks, as anyone else. They should take time to research the university and write great essays.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 25,140 Super Moderator
    edited September 12
    They were national news and certainly the biggest college story of the 2017 cycle.
    Well, they were national news after the fact. I highly doubt that Yale has any interest in admitting applicants just because they might be newsworthy.
    I don't believe being one of a identical quadruplet, is considered a hook
    Nor do I (and they are not identical). They are, however, African-American males, which is kinda the Holy Grail of URM, IMO.
    Post edited by skieurope on
  • YaleGradandDadYaleGradandDad Registered User Posts: 1,029 Senior Member
    Aside from those quads qualifying as hooked just based on being African American, their story was widely publicized and it was thought to be a coup to recruit them all. Whatever their ACT scores, they certainly stood out as exceptional.
  • planner03planner03 Registered User Posts: 1,156 Senior Member
    edited September 13
    @skieurope Quads are newsworthy from the day they are born. Pretty sure that Yale and every other school could anticipate that they would generate publicity and you may doubt it, but since when don't colleges thrive on publicity?

Why are celebrities and other high profile applicants coveted?

Why do you think they were accepted to so many places? Do you think they all would have been accepted to Yale and their overall results would have been the same if they were 4 unrelated applicants?

They seem like great kids, but so are thousands of others with the same stats that piled up rejections last year.
    edited September 13
    I don't think they would have all been accepted if they were not quadruplets.
    Their stats wouldn't have held up. You are correct.
    They were all accepted because they are quadruplets.
    I understand that Yale accepts some low Stats for their athletes. Who knew that if you had quadruplets your kids would have an equal chance, irregardless of their work in school and test scores, or athletic ability to the high achieving 32-36 ACT and 1490-1600 SAT applicants.
  • YaleGradandDadYaleGradandDad Registered User Posts: 1,029 Senior Member
    There was a whole thread here on CC about those kids and their essays were even published. I thought 3 of the 4 were great and it was interesting how they seemed like 4 pieces of a puzzle and were even better as a whole reflecting the interwoven dynamics of being a multiple.
  • Houston1021Houston1021 Registered User Posts: 329 Member
    If you are an unhooked applicant, don't waste your early admit card on Yale with a 32 or 33. If you are a URM, recruited athlete, or legacy go for it.
  • IxnayBobIxnayBob Registered User Posts: 3,993 Senior Member
    I am, overall, very proud of Yale. Their willingness to offer acceptances based on PR value is not something I'm proud of as a parent of a Yalie. That said, they are not alone in this failing.
    edited September 13
    These kids were the result of 4 eggs fertilized and carried to term. I'm sure their essays were good. just as most all applicants to Yale are. Why would they publish their essays? This is rather private and they run the risk of octuplets , septuplets , whatever 6 embryos are carried to term , and quintuplets, copying their essays in some form. Are we now saying that IVF implantation and natural multiple births are more worthy of acceptance to the most selective universities , just because their embryos and fetuses survived?
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 25,140 Super Moderator
    Why are celebrities and other high profile applicants coveted?
    I made the distinction in my post. Celebs are newsworthy before they even applied. But even celebs have to be able to handle the work once admitted. I personally doubt that Yale or any of its peers would accept a Kardashian Kid solely based upon celebrity.

The Wade brothers may have been locally newsworthy at birth in their hometown, but the national attention came only after their acceptances. Whether Yale would have only accepted 2 or 3 based upon their application and URM hook and chose to take them all so as not to split them up is something only a Yale AO would know. Maybe they did. Maybe not. Perhaps some people are just more cynical than me.
    edited September 13
    @skieurope , you were the first to mention that the quadruplets are "African American". I understand that Universities want to be perceived as all inclusive. Which they should be especially since many different cultures,"races" have been abused, segregated and disinfrachised in our country. My point is that now quadruplets are considered a hook. I don't remember in our history that quadruplets have been diminished.
    I think we should get back on the subject of the Original poster. Apply to Yale even if you aren't a Valeticorian or a Quadruplet.
    @Houston1021 , it is not a waste to apply to Yale with an ACT of 32. If the applicant doesn't apply they will not be accepted . If the applicant does apply they have a chance just as my original post stated. Don't be a Debbie downer.
  • IxnayBobIxnayBob Registered User Posts: 3,993 Senior Member
    1Tiger21 wrote:
    it is not a waste to apply to Yale with an ACT of 32. If the applicant doesn't apply they will not be accepted . If the applicant does apply they have a chance just as my original post stated. Don't be a Debbie downer.
    I'm all for people applying aspirationally, but that has to be weighed against the odds. I don't know OP, but with an otherwise flat application, i.e., not spikey, they probably should look for better odds elsewhere. Nothing precludes a "wing and a prayer" RD application later, but they should make the best use of whatever advantage early applications provide. I'm generally an optimistic guy, heck, I buy lottery tickets knowing the odds, and nobody would call me a Debbie Downer, but OP, play the hand you got dealt.
  • Houston1021Houston1021 Registered User Posts: 329 Member
    edited September 13
    Perhaps I was too blunt. After having gone through the college admissions process with my D last year, I learned there are many schools ranked in the top 20 that take very large portions of their class ED. If an unhooked applicant EDs at many of these schools with a 32, it seems the applicant has a better chance of being admitted to those schools ED than at Yale SCEA. If you SCEA Yale, you cannot ED at these other top schools. RD admits at schools in the top 20 are much harder than ED admits. Foe example, EA and RD admits at U Chicago last year were almost nonexistent. A student only has one early card to play, and it should be played wisely. I will add as a caveat that some of these schools have ED2. If your heart is set on Yale, certainly apply. Just be aware that SCEA may foreclose other good options.