Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Survey - How many hours/week do you spend on Extracurriculars

lolcats4lolcats4 Posts: 3,203Registered User Senior Member
edited January 2009 in Yale University
I'm just curious to see how much time other people spend. If the figure changes just give a general range.

I spend 46
Post edited by lolcats4 on

Replies to: Survey - How many hours/week do you spend on Extracurriculars

• klagirlklagirl Posts: 38Registered User Junior Member
    This is an estimate.....it REALLY changes.
    28 maybe? Otherwise I work, go to school and I have a Free the children chapter and 2 other orgs (charity stuff) to take care of.
  • lolcats4lolcats4 Posts: 3,203Registered User Senior Member
    Yeah I should mention that my figure of 46 is the high point, during my 10-week swim season, Otherwise it's more like 35.

Easy way to add it up is to look over what you put for your common app :P
  • caatingacaatinga Posts: 89Registered User Junior Member
    Not apping Yale, but approx 25 hrs/wk.
  • SturdyLonSturdyLon Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    are we counting employment? some of us do things like that
    Yes, definitely include that! :)
  • qhausqkqhqhausqkqh Posts: 245Registered User Junior Member
    46 hours? That's slightly less than 7 hours a day, including weekends. When do you sleep?
  • hpa10hpa10 Posts: 1,906Registered User Senior Member
    And how long are your school days? Isn't 46 hours longer than an average work week?
    I know, it seemed like an absurd amount when I put it down on paper, but it's about right. But keep in mind this was only for last semester.

During swim season I get about 8 hours of sleep a night. That is 112 hours when I'm awake, and 46 hours are only about 40% of that time.

Since I'm home schooled, I have more time to put to my extra curricular activities :) Also, 15 hours/week of it is on the computer, which is relatively flexible and easy to do in the evening.

ex - school work generally takes 7:00-1:00, between 1:00-7:00 PM is a couple hours of college homework/ECs, then swim practice 7:00-9:00 and my computer work until 11:00 PM. Which is why I have cut down on some of my activities this semester, and I also thankfully don't have swim team. Last semester was a little rough

EDIT: hpa, I think 46 is the average American work week.
  • kROCK91kROCK91 Posts: 233Registered User Junior Member
    Hmm...I'd say during cross-country or track seasons I do about 3 hours a day of running. I do tutoring which takes up 2-3 hours some days. Student Council planning takes some time. I'm not doing as much right now as I usually do, so I'm guestimating 20ish hours total.
  • DenebolaDenebola Posts: 239Registered User Junior Member
    Somewhere between 32-40 depending on the week (I have twice monthly job..)
  • ButternutButternut Posts: 2,002Registered User Senior Member
    Lolcats, I admire your dedication to start @ 7. I'm homeschooled, too, but I start at 8.

Generally, I spend 15-20 hours on EC's, although being involved in theatre, it can fluctuate. ( ie, last week I spent 18 hours on a film set, so overall it was like 35 hours total.)
  • TheMatrix411TheMatrix411 Posts: 129Registered User Junior Member
    Zero. I transcend whatever activity I come in contact with, so extracurriculars in reality spend time on me.
  • hpa10hpa10 Posts: 1,906Registered User Senior Member
    Since I'm home schooled, I have more time to put to my extra curricular activities Also, 15 hours/week of it is on the computer, which is relatively flexible and easy to do in the evening.

That explains a lot... Still seems like a ridiculously huge number, but then again, this is CC and you guys are out of this world amazing.
    It's probably more like 43ish because some of it is compressed during swim season (10 weeks). Otherwise it's more like 35/week. But I wasn't too surprised when I calculated that number because swim season = no spare seconds. (Therefor spring semester = more sleep semester) :P
    Lolcats, I admire your dedication to start @ 7. I'm homeschooled, too, but I start at 8.

Haha, you should have seen how much I overslept during break.

Yet I've read the horror stories on here which make me feel very lucky to get 7-8 hours!! :P