Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Yale Parents thread

Replies to: Yale Parents thread

• Community2605Community2605 Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    I helped my son move out. One of his suitemates had already left - probably in a rush to catch a flight. In order to try to avoid a fine, I hauled FIVE bags of trash out of that bedroom down five flights of stars to the RC trash. I'm not saying he was a slob, I'm just saying...
  • tonymomtonymom Registered User Posts: 914 Member
    The whole move out/fly home on your own process has been a good one for student and parent alike...Because we were unable to fly back and help him (mostly due to his sport not being done) he had to pack, move out, move into temp housing, get storage space, book last minute flight, compete in championship race, win said championship race, stuff remaining items into left over luggage....oh get one more workout in...must not turn into pile of mush!....and, fingers crossed, he will be home in bed tomorrow where his cat will be happy to perch on his butt while he sleeps.

I've learned to be more flexible and "let it go"....he's learned he can do it, all by himself. :-)
  • Tperry1982Tperry1982 Registered User Posts: 1,484 Senior Member
    Yes, junior year is a wrap and we are home. I understand about leaving furniture in the room. Between sophomore and junior year they left their couch in the new room and it was broken when they got back in August. Yale maintenance did come and jerry rig a fix, but it was never the same. Summer students, reunion guests (me this year!!) and others use the rooms over the summer. It is good that most of their furniture is hand me downs, but it is frustrating when something they bought is broken. Part of college life I guess.
  • AREYOUTHEONEAREYOUTHEONE Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    Hi. Can anyone shed light on whether the res college commencement ceremonies are inside? Just found out that it's going to rain and I am traveling tomorrow, trying to figure out what to wear. Thanks.
  • scoutsmomscoutsmom Registered User Posts: 685 Member
    JE has a tent for its ceremony.
  • donnaleighgdonnaleighg Registered User Posts: 1,096 Senior Member
    TD also had a tent
  • MemmsmomMemmsmom Registered User Posts: 452 Member
    I remember seeing a lot of tents last year. Also keep in mind that it is Connecticut after all. Our weather changes a lot. Even if there is supposed to be rain in the forecast, we are several days away and that is likely to change over the weekend. Fingers crossed its in your favor. I would be very hard pressed to believe that its an accurate forecast this far in advance. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
  • musicmeritmusicmerit Registered User Posts: 1,062 Senior Member
    The forecast for Monday has consistently shown rain, but the other days look beautiful. Especially for those of us staying on campus with no air condition.
    Im just saying that here things don't always happen the way they say they will. We were also supposed to have a Noreaster storm all weekend. Mother's day washed out and in the end we had blue skies, baseball and I got the gardens done on Saturday before the rain came that night. You just never know around here. Stay hopeful.
  • HuntHunt Registered User Posts: 26,777 Senior Member
    Don't plan on getting raingear near campus if it rains. It will sell out. Bring it with you.
  • BKSquaredBKSquared Registered User Posts: 318 Member
    Congrats to all the graduates (and parents of graduates -- getting that $65k nut off your back must be a relief!). I sincerely hope the grads will pay it forward to the students of the future, whether it is through the Alumni Fund, volunteering for the ASC, or other volunteer services. The Yale community extends well past graduation. I hope your children take full advantage of it.
  • Tperry1982Tperry1982 Registered User Posts: 1,484 Senior Member
    I second that @BKSquared !! Well said.
    I went to the Whim/Whiff concert last night and was blown away. What an amazing group of talent. Granted I was a little bias because I actually knew a few on the stage and felt just a little special to get hugs along with my daughter. It was fun to be there for some of the excitement, photos and see all of the parents that are on campus for the first time ever.

Today, one of my daughter's closest friends graduates. She definitely seems sad. You would think that after so much hard work that they would be happy to go but she certainly didn't seem that way. What a blessing to be involved in something so special that they don't want to leave. It just put into perspective how lucky my daughter is.
  • DeepBlue86DeepBlue86 Registered User Posts: 627 Member
    Related to that thought, @Memmsmom, if you've never read Marina Keegan's "The Opposite of Loneliness", written for her Yale commencement five years ago, I can't recommend it enough. I've re-read it at this time every year since then. Be warned, though - it may make you cry: http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2012/05/27/keegan-the-opposite-of-loneliness/
  • canoe2015canoe2015 Registered User Posts: 213 Junior Member
    Beautifully written piece by Marina Keegan @DeepBlue86, both as a memoir of the strong sense of community she found at Yale in particular, and also more generally on the bittersweet nature of commencement.