Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Yale Parents thread

1431432433434435437»

Replies to: Yale Parents thread

• IxnayBobIxnayBob Registered User Posts: 3,993 Senior Member
    I think one of the highlights of The Game is old HS friends getting together again with those of their classmates who chose to attend the "wrong" school. Fwiw, Yale doesn't win on the field that often, but anecdotal reports are that they have won the social happiness game consistently :))
  • HuntHunt Registered User Posts: 26,766 Senior Member
    We went to the Game while our kids were students, but we were also alumni (also, our son was in the YPMB). If you're not an alum, and your kid isn't involved in football, or the band, or cheerleading, you might want to skip the Game. Unless you really love football. Actually, if you really love football, you might not love Ivy League football so much. Maybe go once, just for the experience. But I would only go when it's in New Haven, unless you have a really good reason to go in Cambridge--the stadium there is not very good, and there are lots of terrible seats.
  • BKSquaredBKSquared Registered User Posts: 305 Member
    edited September 6
    @IxnayBob, so different now. We won the Ivy title 3/4 years when I attended. Several players had legit NFL careers, and this is after Calvin Hill and Gary Fencik. One year I think we even rationalized we were number 1 in the country because we beat Navy who had beat Oklahoma (or something like that). Ohh, we were still winning the social happiness game!

@Hunt the YPMB show can be worth the price of admissions if they are still as irreverent as they once were. For one of the Brown games, the theme was "wipe the Brown out of the Bowl" where their formation consisted of a toilet with a brush cleaning it out.
  • MemmsmomMemmsmom Registered User Posts: 451 Member
    Not an alum but went to the games two years ago because my daughter was a cheerleader at the time. Everyone was very friendly and we saw many friends there that are local to the New Haven area. We didn't realize that there were so many that live in the area that also attend, It is definitely not exclusively alumni that go to the games. The GAME this past year was a lot of fun. I went because I was retrieving my kid afterwards. It was so exciting and to see the kids go so crazy afterwards was fun to be a part of.
  • tonymomtonymom Registered User Posts: 911 Member
    Heads up for another fun Yale athletic event is the opening season of crew @ Gilder Boathouse @Derby for Head of the Hous! Since it's the opening fall season event hosted by alums it's quite the celebratory day. If you haven't ever checked out the boathouse I'd say it's a must! Beautiful! And crew racing is a very particular beauty but I'm a bit biased ;-)
    Event is October 7th.
    @tonymom I am home then!! I will see if I can grab my kid and go cheer them on for you. And yes- I can attest to the fact that it is a beautiful building. They made it easy to watch the whole race on huge screens and then live viewing of the finish line.
    @Memmsmom I will be there too! With grannie :-)
    Happy to show any of you cc Yale parents around. Crew folks are an odd but lovely lot ;-)
    And we have coffee!!!!!
    @Memmsmom and if your kiddo is performing that week we would live to catch a tune :-)
    @tonymom Ill ask her- they have rush right now and so there is that. I think the next performance after that would be parents weekend and then Mory's. But I think she isn't singing at Mory's until Dec. Yay re:Grannie. We will have to get together either way.
  • kbgbkbgb Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Hi All, Sitting here watching the Giants and getting ready for football season! Yay! Question for upperclassmen parents - If tailgating in Lot B, do you recommend I buy a second spot for space to set up and relax, or is there plenty of space? Thanks!
    Once everyone parks there is plenty of room in the driving lane to set up. I don't remember seeing any spaces between cars for tables.
    I want to tag @martoni so they can find the parents thread.
  • gibbygibby Registered User Posts: 10,079 Senior Member
    edited September 20
    Okay, I'm going to add my 2-cents here on "THE GAME." I watch football; I'm not passionate about it, but I enjoy the game. When my daughter was attending Harvard, and my son was attending Yale, we attended the game once -- at Yale. Truth be told, we attended the game with a group of Harvard Alum (all my age - all male, mid 50's to early 60's) and watched them drink beer and take shots from 9am to 4pm. It was so pathetic watching 50-year old men trying to relive their 20's. (FWIW: The alumni wives, or significant others, were the sober drivers.) The whole situation was so awful we never attended the game again -- and maybe that was because we attended with Harvard alum and not Yale alum, but I hope everyone else's experience was better than mine.