Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Should I retake ACT Writing - got a 29

alexcuadalexcuad Posts: 233Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2010 in Yale University
Yale is definitely my first choice and I just got my ACT scores back for the first time. I did fairly well:

English - 31
Math - 30
Reading - 25 (the main reason why I'm retaking the regular portion of the test)
Science - 30
Writing - 29

I was hoping to get a 30+ on every subject, but I ama astonished about my reading score. I am for sure going to retake the regular part of the test, but I don't know if I want to take the optional writing again.
Some advice please.

P.S. I know this should probably be posted on the SAT/ACT forum, but I want an opinion considering that I am going to be applying to Ivy League schools. Don't waste our time telling me that I shouldn't post this here.
Post edited by alexcuad on

Replies to: Should I retake ACT Writing - got a 29

• Handala92Handala92 Posts: 1,082Registered User Senior Member
    I'm not gonna comment, but prepare to get bashed on here lmao
  • alexcuadalexcuad Posts: 233Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks for the warning - more than anything, I just want people's opinions.
  • wjbwjb Posts: 2,899Registered User Senior Member
    A 29 is below the 25th percentile for admitted students. I strongly recommend doing some additional prep and retaking. Also note that Yale will not accept the ACT without Writing.
    Ok that makes sense - btw, will Yale get to see that 25 in Reading? If so, how will that affect me?
  • mifunemifune Posts: 2,756Registered User Senior Member
    A 29 would be a bit low for Yale so I would definitely recommend retaking it. And yes, Yale will still require that you submit your last score:

Here is a statement on score sending policy directly from Yale's website (Yale Score Policy):
    Yale requires results from all of the SAT I and SAT II tests or all of the ACT tests you have taken. If you choose to fulfill our testing requirement with SAT scores, then it is not necessary to send any scores from the ACT, even if you have taken the ACT. And if you choose to fulfill the requirement using the ACT, you do not need to send us any SAT scores, unless you wish.

However, and this is important, if you elect to use the SAT scores, you must report all scores from all SAT exams (both SAT I and SAT II) that you have taken. If you elect to use ACT scores, you must report all scores from all ACT exams you have taken. And if you choose to use a combination of SAT and ACT results, we require that you report all scores from both agencies.
  • Tres ElefantesTres Elefantes Posts: 858Registered User Member
    it's too low. retake it, or take the SAT.
    I plan to take the SAT at the March test date. I guess once I see how I did on SAT, visit colleges, and ask them questions, I'll decided whether or not to retake ACT. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to ace SAT II Bio tests and maybe History, Spanish, or Math. We'll see.
  • DbateDbate Posts: 2,699- Senior Member
    ACT reading is mostly just a measure of how fast you read, so I would suggest that in order to increase your score you simply read more. Get a really long novel and just read. I am a pretty fast reader and got a 36 on the reading, so I think if you build that up then you will do much better.
  • KutlessRockKutlessRock Posts: 247Registered User Junior Member
    mifune is right- They will be able to see all of you scores. Thankfully, you only have to send in one official one and self report the rest or else people would have to pay a lot more.
    I am a pretty fast reader, I mean I knock out James Michener novels in about two to three weeks - I just don't know what happened, guess I'll try harder next time. By the way, how does self reporting work, I mean can you choose not to report some scores etc.
  • HonorsCentaurHonorsCentaur Posts: 1,665Registered User Senior Member
    retake it.
    asking this question with scores like these is not high enough to merit a lot of bashing from CC'ers just fyi.
  • mifunemifune Posts: 2,756Registered User Senior Member
    Also, you will not be required to submit any of your scores from one agency if you choose to exclusively send scores from the other.
  • DbateDbate Posts: 2,699- Senior Member
    Yeah, Yale allows you to send in the ACT instead of the SAT and two subject tests. There is no bias for or against, I just sent in the ACT and still got accepted. (Though they saw my SAT 1 scores from my transcript).