Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Wait-list Statistics at Yale?

187187 Posts: 814Registered User Member
edited June 2010 in Yale University
Anyone know the wait-list statistics? I know that 932 were waitlisted this year, but generally, how many choose to stay on it? I know that the # of people they pull off the waitlist is roughly 20-59, so I'd like to make a very rough estimate to see my chances. I already got into Princeton, but I might still choose Yale over Princeton. I imagine of the people who choose to stay on the wait-list, the chance would be less than 10% still.
Post edited by 187 on

Replies to: Wait-list Statistics at Yale?

• Mythbuster2000Mythbuster2000 Posts: 348Registered User Member
    Last year none of very close to zero got in.
  • MillancadMillancad Posts: 5,941Registered User Senior Member
    I got waitlisted too. I'd love to know what's up.
  • collegehappycollegehappy Posts: 712Registered User Member
    Also waitlisted. Hoping the bad economy will work in our favor. I'm going to Duke for now, but would go to Yale if accepted. Not getting my hopes up too high though.
  • ricochet99999ricochet99999 Posts: 125Registered User Junior Member
    Waitlisted.. Feel dreadful because ive got 6 waitlists and no acceptances. God help miserable boy.
  • vulpixvulpix Posts: 34Registered User Junior Member
    collegehapy: I'm in the same situation as you- accepted at Duke, waitlisted at Yale, would rather go to Yale. I'm hoping the same thing, because reading about last year's waitlistees (thanks for the links, 187!) was not heartening.

ricochet99999: Now that is just cruel! I fervently hope that you are able to get off of one of those waitlists, at least...
  • Handala92Handala92 Posts: 1,082Registered User Senior Member
    not sure if this year is going to go well for waitlistees, everyone who got into Yale (including myself) that I know, is committing to Yale
  • dan92dan92 Posts: 280Registered User Junior Member
    also waitlisted. @ricochet99999 - that really sucks. I got 5 waitlists, but luckily I got some acceptances too! I will most likely go to UPenn unless I hear good news from the wait list
    I think I'm going to MIT. Unless I fall in love with Hahvahhd or something.

Maybe my UChicago visit will be awesome and I'll go there. But I think it's MIT.
  • 187187 Posts: 814Registered User Member
    I have a bad feeling that Yale's going to oversubscribe again this year. That is, unless the admissions officers anticipated a similar event from last year. I'm content with with my choices so far though.
  • DescarteszDescartesz Posts: 1,738Registered User Senior Member
  • ricochet99999ricochet99999 Posts: 125Registered User Junior Member
    hmmm... “The consolation for turning away so many immensely talented students is knowing that virtually all Yale applicants will be attending great colleges and universities.” Brenzel.

I must be an exception.
  • istriaistria Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    not sure if this will be a factor but apparently less upperclassmen are deciding to move off campus, resulting in housing overcrowding
    even if yale isnt oversubscribed this year, they may not want to admit more students?

Yale Daily News - Overcrowded housing here to stay
  • OpensecretOpensecret Posts: 233Registered User Junior Member
    The big unknown is the yield rate. Admissions offices have to predict, based on past experience, how many accepted students will decide to come. It's more of a problem if too many accept (because Yale won't have anyplace to put some of them) than if too few (because you can go to the wait list). Last year, Yale took very few because yield was higher than anticipated. It could be better or worse this year -- it won't be until May that anyone knows.
    I just looked at all the common data sets available on Yale's website. I feel pretty certain that some waitlistees (WL) will be accepted from the data. Whether those guys will be CC posters, who knows.

Consolidated Data
    Placed=placed on WL
    N/A=unavailable/not published
    Accepted=students accepting placement on WL
    Admitted=Yale said "We want you!" and pointed at them like Uncle Sam does.
    Yale Waitlist

2009: 1053 placed, N/A accepted. 59 admitted
    2008: 850 placed, N/A accepted, 50 admitted
    2007: 728 placed, 204 accepted, 56 admitted
    2006: 1094 placed, N/A accepted, 0 admitted (:()
    2005: 1239 placed, N/A accepted, 8 admitted
    2004: 814 placed, 0 accepted, 0 admitted (???)

I don't know what's up with the 2004 data. Maybe someone hit the wrong button, meant to just not give a number.
    The number admitted has ballooned recently. That's a big positive. After three years with the number being in the 50s, some will probably be accepted.
    To me though, the biggest comfort in these stats is the 2007 number accepting placement on the WL. If a similar percentage accept this year, we're all really only competing with about 260 other students. Which means we have a higher "real" admit %. 2007's was 27%. (!!!)

I feel so much better now :).

Do you guys have any plans for getting off the WL? I'm considering a lot of things. Obvi, letter of continued interest. Ideas about which I am less sure include: video of my original classical ballet choreography (danced in costumes made by me), lesson plans I've written for when I was an intern-teacher, maybe an essay that talks more about my community service and other things in the same vein (like being an intern-teacher) essays that I think are particularly nice & expressive, essays about my certainty & ardor wrt my major, addt'l recs.
    I have one really, really out there idea for a rec, which I will totally never do: Former Harvard professor, current Cambridge professor, who interviewed me. Obvi, a very bad & completely unrealistic idea. I don't even know why I wrote it out. I feel like backspacing it. I guess I brought it up because he's the only guy who can talk about my major.