Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!
While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

Which has easier English? SAT or ACT?

BMWM550DBMWM550D Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
Hello,
I recently gave SAT with very little preparation and my scores came very low. I although managed to score 800 in math but in critical reading and writing section, my scores were in low 400s. My vocabulary is bad, I spent a little time memorizing some SAT specific vocabularies but failed to use them in sentences.
Although my grammar is pretty good (don't know if I made some bubbling errors in SAT) and I am confident that with good practice, I will master the writing (grammar) section but as far as critical reading is concerned, I am pretty much helpless. I was although able to score 9 on essay.
Now coming to the main topic. I have heard that ACT focuses less on vocabulary, is that true? Also, please tell me what is the overall level of english in ACT as compared to that of SAT? Should I consider giving ACT this time or stick to SAT?
I am very strong in mathematics (know much more than SAT and ACT syllabi) and science (Physics and Chemistry), but in english, I am not at all of SAT level. It would be great if ACT will offer me some benefit in reading section. Please do reply.
Thanks.

Replies to: Which has easier English? SAT or ACT?

• southernbelle16southernbelle16 Registered User Posts: 667 Member
    Personally, I thought that the ACT had easier english sections. Maybe pick up a prep book focused on SAT and ACT english. Your math is excellent though which is a plus. You just need to work on english.
  • Andre3200Andre3200 Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    edited February 2015
    Even if they are even, the act will fit you better since the act English and reading is only 1/2 of the score (instead of 2/3), and your strong suits (math and science) count as half as opposed to 1/3 on the sat. This is what led me to the ACT, but since I am a sophomore I may try the new SAT next spring as the Math counts for 1/2 of score and more practical vocab.
  • BMWM550DBMWM550D Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    Thanks for suggestions. I will give ACT this time!
This discussion has been closed.