Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

Is it worth it for me to take the ACT?

yonceonhismouthyonceonhismouth Registered User Posts: 1,977 Senior Member
I'm a rising senior who currently has a 2210 on the old SAT (770 CR/760 W/680 M). I took a diagnostic ACT completely cold and got a 30 composite (34 E/32 R/27 M/27 S) and a 32 on the essay.

I was wondering if I study for the rest of the summer, do people think it will be worth it for me to take the ACT in September? I'm mainly hoping to get a good math score to make up for my lower math score on the SAT.

Replies to: Is it worth it for me to take the ACT?

• toolegittoquittoolegittoquit Registered User Posts: 200 Junior Member
    edited July 2016
    If you think you can get 34+ on the ACT, I'd say go for it. It's not worth it to take it if you score around or lower than your SAT. 30 is a good starting point and it probably wouldn't take long to raise that. If you want a higher score to get into a top tier school or a scholarship, then it's definitely worth your time.
  • AnimeMangoAnimeMango Registered User Posts: 115 Junior Member
    I chose to take the ACT because I wasn't satisfied with my SAT score. I have a score of 2270 on the old SAT, and my goal had been 2300+. And I had totally bombed the math section and gotten a 690. I thought that if I did well on ACT, I could submit that instead and increase my chances.
    You could do the same, if you are willing.
  • actprep34actprep34 Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    edited August 2016
    @AnimeMango Getting a 690 is not "bombing" sat math. My sat math was a 640 lmao. That's why I take the act and I already got a 30 in act math in april which is like a 670 in sat math. SAT math is ridiculously cruel. The questions are so tricky that if you had an entire year to solve the problems you'd
    get the same score
    @actprep34 For me it was simply because I was scoring 700+ at home but couldn't seem to do so on the actual test. And compared to the other kids at my school, it was pretty much a fail lol. But I do agree with what you said about the SAT math. I really didn't like it. It felt like it was purposefully trying to trick me into picking the wrong answer. But the math subject test wasn't bad though.
This discussion has been closed.