Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.
While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

***APRIL 2017 ACT DISCUSSION THREAD***

Replies to: ***APRIL 2017 ACT DISCUSSION THREAD***

• momto8momto8 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    BondTutoring, did you feel reading was more difficult on this particular exam?
    This is my daughter's first go at the ACT. She's 15-so she can retake in the fall. She can't retake in June bc of scheduling conflicts. She did take the December test last week to practice on and made a 32, but had some lucky guesses on Reading so I hate to put too much stock in that. The chance on more lucky guesses in Reading are slim. She really is worried that the Reading will bring her composite down:( everything else seemed fairly easy to her.
  • AskerOfQuestionsAskerOfQuestions Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Do you guys think the math curve is going to be good??
  • tb2000tb2000 Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    @lalander111
    There are MANY schools that require the essay- half or more of the ivies. Both of the flagship universities in our state, Rice, Vanderbilt,Emory. Some schools will not look at a score that did not include writing. If you are applying places top 20 and state flagships- you are most likely going to need an essay score
  • dragonmom3dragonmom3 Registered User Posts: 281 Junior Member
    From Vanderbilt admissions:

What is Vanderbilt‘s policy regarding the writing portions of the SAT and ACT?
    The Writing section of the ACT and the Essay section of the New SAT are not required.

From Emory:

All first-year freshman applicants to Emory University are required to submit scores from either the SAT or the ACT. The essay/writing section of the redesigned SAT and the ACT are optional.

From Rice:

All freshman applicants must submit at least one of the following:
    the old SAT (Reading, Math, and Writing) and two SAT Subject Tests in fields related to their proposed area of study
    the new, redesigned SAT (Reading/Writing/Language and Math - SAT Essay is optional)
    the ACT (Writing is optional)

Some do require it, but very very few (most UC's for example)
  • BondTutoringBondTutoring Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    No, Momto8, the reading seemed about the same. I do the reading section backwards--passages IV, III, II, & I. I stayed right on time (8:30 to 9:00 per passage). Passage I, "Literary Narrative" had a couple tricky questions. One was the chronology question (as I recall), which one must attack slowly & carefully.

I read half the passage, then attack every question that I can answer fully or even partially. Then, depending on the number of questions that remain, I read or skim the latter half of the passage--or read and stop when I spot something mentioned in a question.
    It's time for all colleges to scrap requiring the essay in A.C.T. or S.A.T.

Of course, it's past time, way past time, for all colleges to ignore the A.C.T. & S.A.T. entirely.
    Momto8, pay the extra $20 and order the Test Information Release service for the April A.C.T.
    BondTutoring, I think I did pay the extra $20 for that. I paid extra for a copy of the test with answers--is that what you mean?
  • DieuDeTempsDieuDeTemps Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    E: 30-32
    M: 32-34 (few unknown problems)
    R: 23-25 (very bad at reading section)
    S: 35-36 (For some reason, Ap Chemistry helped a lot.)
    Yes, Momto8, that is what I mean. It should arrive by May 20th.
  • givemethtcheesegivemethtcheese Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    The ACT website says that multiple-choice scores will begin coming out on the 18th, but only in batches. What is the likelihood that I receive my scores on the 18th?
  • xvibesxxvibesx Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    In the past, I've always received my scores around 3 am of the release date, but other posters on CC would have extremely delayed scores...my theory is that it depends on where you live.
  • my2caligirlsmy2caligirls Registered User Posts: 683 Member
    edited April 16
    @givemethtcheese If your status for this test date in your Act Student portal changes from Registered to Tested you are likely to receice your scores in the first batch (i.e. tomorrow night). Good luck.
  • s16s18s21s25s16s18s21s25 Registered User Posts: 382 Member
    Still registered here. Last time it changed during the morning the day before score release.