Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.
While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

ACT English

CHD2013CHD2013 Registered User Posts: 2,510 Senior Member
edited May 8 in ACT Preparation
Does anyone have an idea why the following ACT English answer is incorrect?

In the late 1800s, clothing store owner, Levi Strauss patented the practice of putting rivets, tiny metal studs, on the stress points of men's "wasit overalls."

The underlined portion of the question is "owner, Levi Strauss"

My thought is that "clothing store owner" could be considered a non-essential clause and thus surrounding it with commas could be ok.

Thoughts?

P.S. In the correct answer the comma after the word "owner" is removed

Replies to: ACT English

• cubelogiccubelogic Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    edited May 20
    Shouldn't it be this? (Correct me if I am wrong)

In the late 1800s, clothing store owner Levi Strauss patented the practice of putting rivets, tiny metal studs, on the stress points of men's "wasit overalls."

Making "Clothing store owner" a non-essential clause is very awkward. If Clothing store owner came before Levi Strauss, then it might make sense, depending on the context. In this sentence here, when you make "clothing store owner" as non-essential, readers might be confused because they don't know which clothing store owner they are referring to. Is it Levi? Or is it someone else? Do you see what I am saying?
    Hope this helps.
  • CHD2013CHD2013 Registered User Posts: 2,510 Senior Member
    ^Yes, in the correct answer the comma after the word "owner" is removed