right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

Strategies for math & science

eyestraineyestrain 16 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
My last ACT score is a 28 composite with a 31 in English, 30 in reading, 25 in math, and 26 in science. My English and reading can be brought up pretty easily (it is my strong suit) but I struggle practicing science/math. Any resources/suggestions?
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Strategies for math & science

• flspaceflspace 3 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    We had good luck with

The College Panda's ACT Math: Advanced Guide and Workbook
    Phu, Nielson

Ultimate Guide to the Math ACT
    Corn, Richard

For the Love of ACT Science: An innovative approach to mastering the science section of the ACT standardized exam
    Cerro, Michael, Ingramcontent

For science try to directly jump into question and come back read para/data/graph and see if this makes any difference. My D mentioned that this saved a lot of time during test improved score a lot.

Math just review recommended books and see if you can tackle easier ones first
    · Reply · Share
  • tgl2023tgl2023 102 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    ACT, especially the science section is about speed, averaging one minute a question. My son also had good results using a strategy similar to flspace's daughter's, that of "directly jump into question and come back read para/data/graph".
    I suggest that you practice with the paper-and-pencil tests, which are more similar to the real tests (tactile) than the online tests. Also, try to condition your brain to get use to concentrating on a single task for 3 hours in a quiet public setting. Do the prep tests in room at school or library (not at home or cafe) without breaks, earbuds, chattering with friends or glancing at your phone. You can do it; good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • kaelee5477kaelee5477 1 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    My son just got his ACT scores. He got 36 in science. I bought this book “For the love of ACT Science, An innovative approach to mastering the ACT science section” ( the author is Michael Cerro) to him and he finished the whole book. This is my suggestion!
    · Reply · Share
  • donthurrymedonthurryme 2 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    for science FTLOAS has like a cult following, would defo recommend.

For maths, your timing needs to be on point - literally 1 min/question. I would make sure you know all the content inside out (seneca has a good free ACT math course) and then practice as many past act sections as you can find (timed!) and then review the questions you get wrong every few days.
    · Reply · Share