right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, Student Voices - vol. 3, and Student Voices - vol. 4 eBooks NOW!
In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

ACT Calculator policy

bkkellybkkelly 1 replies1 threads New Member
Just a question for anyone who may have had a similar experience. My son took the ACT this week (for the third time) as a junior. This was the state provided test at his high school. Upon initial instructions, he was informed that he could not use a calculator that he brought (even though he had two different calculators that meet the guidelines as printed by ACT). He was told he would have to use a provided calculator (which was a basic four function calculator with no graphing capabilities). Does anyone in this group know if this is allowed under ACT guidelines? Seems to me that it takes away from the standardization of the test, and places these students at a disadvantage to students taking at other testing centers that "follow the rules". Any input would be appreciated. TIA
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: ACT Calculator policy

• bkkellybkkelly 1 replies1 threads New Member
    Just FYI, I am planning to contact ACT, just wanted to see if this is an isolated case. Thanks
    · Reply · Share
  • Tigerwife92Tigerwife92 230 replies3 threads Junior Member
    edited February 26
    @bkkelly Hmmm; NC took theirs yesterday. Kids in our district use their own calculators, as long as they are one of the approved models, which for most is Ti84
    Edited to add: usually it's recommended to use a familiar calculator.
    edited February 26
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2995 replies48 threads Senior Member
    I’m pretty sure it’s not permitted for a proctor to take away a calculator that meets ACT’s standards.

One of the key pieces of advice is always to bring a calculator that you are familiar with so you can focus on the problems rather than calculator operations. Sounds like he may have been at a disadvantage.

Let us know what comes of this.
    · Reply · Share
  • Apollo22Apollo22 16 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I'm pretty sure as long as its not a CAS calculator or has a QWERTY keyboard the calculator should be permitted.
    · Reply · Share