Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.
While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

Act writing--how to get a top score?

KatieAppliesKatieApplies Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
edited April 2008 in ACT Preparation
Apparently not by doing what I did, LOL. I got an 8 and a "maintained focus on prompt" comment.
Post edited by KatieApplies on

Replies to: Act writing--how to get a top score?

• rob22rob22 Registered User Posts: 207 Junior Member
    I just got my writing score using a new strategy, so maybe this will help:
    Old Idea (got an 8): Get 3 main points, the last one opposing the counterargument, organizing an intro/body/conclusion using basic ideas.
    New Idea (got an 11!!!): Just write, and let it flow. I immediately think of three main ideas .. it goes like this
    + idea 1
    + idea 2
    - idea 3
    I put a minus by idea 3, since it is more of an attack on the counterargument than supporting my argument.
    The key here is to write a lot. I had 3 1/4 pages filled. Throw in a few big words (but don't go crazy or make them forced) and show the reader you know how to use punctuation ( : ; hyphen/dash) and you will score well.
    Hope that helps .. i'm not an expert but I did improve and am very happy! :)
This discussion has been closed.