Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

Is this a bad score?

CarinCarin - Posts: 665 Member
edited November 2009 in ACT Preparation
I was going through the 2009-2010 ACT Guidebook thing and I did the English section. I like it A LOT better than the SAT Writing, and I think I got a 30 on the Multiple choice. I thought that I did okay, but I made a couple of mistakes, like not read the directions carefully (i.e. which one is least appropriate, etc.). If I answered one more question right, I think I would have gotten a 31 instead. Is this okay for a sophomore who hasn't really had any preparation for the ACT at all?
Post edited by Carin on

Replies to: Is this a bad score?

• Tres ElefantesTres Elefantes Registered User Posts: 858 Member
    Yes! It's fine for sophomore year. Chill; you have plenty of time to worry later.
  • cjgonecjgone - Posts: 1,520 Senior Member
    Do that for all 4 sections and your set. One section doesn't really mean that much anyway. The composite is important.
  • OHKIDOHKID Registered User Posts: 1,255 Senior Member
    I got a 30 as a sophomore. A great score to start with.

Just keep in mind that you have time to improve. Taking the test early was a great decision, as it will give you a good feel for the test when you take it again another time or two.
  • byuboundbyubound Registered User Posts: 1,327 Senior Member
    A 30 is a great score, and its actually the score I received on the ACT :D
  • CarinCarin - Posts: 665 Member
    I just did the Math section on that same 2009-2010 guide, and I got a 33. I haven't really learned too much trig yet, as I'm only in Precalc honors this year.
  • CollegeWorriedCollegeWorried Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    That is a great score, especially to just keep working up from. I am sure you will do great! I started out my Junior Year with an official score of a 27. I took it half way through my Junior Year and got a 30, and then again over the summer to go up to a 33. All this was without studying and just using materials learned through school. I took it again in October as a last chance before finishing my application to hopefully get one more kicker.

But enough talking about me. As anyone that is an excellent score and you should be quite proud especially as a Sophomore. A few tips, get acquainted with the test so you know the format by heart and that will make sure to eliminate silly mistakes. And then just stay focused the day of the test and I am sure you will do fine. Best of luck!

-Taylor
    Thanks!
    I just did the reading section, and I scored a 33. I only got three wrong, but it seems like this section's grading curve is somewhat more 'strict' than the others. Probably because it has less questions? Anyways, I found the passages to be SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING than those of the SAT, and that their questions were relatively straightforward! I think I'm going to stick with prepping... do you recommend doing the 1296 PR book along with the red book?
  • CollegeWorriedCollegeWorried Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Honestly the more practice questions you can get at the better. Stray away from the books that lack questions and offer more strategies as those always tend to be the same. So I would go with the books that contain lots and lots of practice questions to make sure you understand ALL the skills that could be tested with the ACT, thus the 1296 would probably be most helpful. Hope that helps!

-Taylor
    So I got the PR 1296 ACT Questions book and I started working on the first test [diagnostic] in the book.

I got 72 questions out of 75 for the English part, and I ended up with a 34!
    Yay!
This discussion has been closed.