Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

How did you improve your score?

2»

Replies to: How did you improve your score?

• FutureENTSurgeonFutureENTSurgeon Registered User Posts: 1,073 Senior Member
    roderick: it all comes with practice those people with sub 20's have the easiest time improving because they are so much gap to fill but after good prep they can get 20+
  • goldandblue92goldandblue92 Registered User Posts: 556 Member
    ohh that looks like it will help. i sure hope so cuz im taking it this saturday
    im taking saturday too its just i want a 35 because i dont a 34 is going to help me much. my goal is a middle ivy ex. cornell, columbia, UPenn
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    It is important to develop personalized strategy. D. took ACT once, but I am sure if she did not prepared, her scores would be lower. Her strategy was to prepare for math only by taking practice math tests. That took about 1 hour/day for one week. She made sure to go over every mistake and understand concepts that questions cover. Your strategy might be different based on your strengths and weaknesses. Math is D's easy subject. She wanted to make sure that she gets as high score in math as possible to compensate her low score in Reading section. It all happened the way she planed and she did not need to take ACT more than once. Self-assessment is very important.
  • yupyup100yupyup100 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    I improved my test score by taking the SAT instead.
    I took the ACT three times and got a 27 on all three, however, I got a 2100 on the first time I took the SAT. I found the SAT to be much easier because I actually had time to finish the questions, but on the ACT, I didn't finish a single section.
    Do yourself a favor by taking the SAT.
    Most people tend to do worse on the ACT, but ultimately, it depends on the student. If you are the type of student who is good a problem solving, you will probably do better on the SAT. If you are the type of student who can read really fast, you will probably do better on the ACT. Stop worrying about the ACT and take the SAT!!!!!

I ended up not sending my ACT score to any program I applied to =]
  • roderickroderick Registered User Posts: 1,488 Senior Member
    miami, what was your D's ACT score?
  • byuboundbyubound Registered User Posts: 1,327 Senior Member
    Practice test after practice test helps to improve the score.
    personally i think ACT is the most valid test because it actully tests material that a person should know before college.

for example:
    English- learn how to identify and in the future write proper and concise english
    math- up to precalc, so IMO if you get a 30+ you should be ready for calculus
    reading- how to read for "business" not for pleasure which is essential because in college you must learn how to effectively read
    science- problem solving

as for the SAT how is having just a strong vocabulary the key to succeeding in college? and for the math section it is not relavent to have questions that are confusing. in physics, chem, and engineering the math you need to know is formuated

source: Me. who has a 4.275(hoping for Berkeley) gpa but got a 1700 on the SAT (540 CR, 600 M, 560 W) and then a 33 composite on ACT ( 34 E, 36 M, 30 R, 30 S).
2»
This discussion has been closed.