Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Accepted admission to 2 graduate programs; worried

TheMistakeTheMistake Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Hi, I accepted admission into 2 different CUNY graduate programs. I accepted the first offer of admission about a month ago and the second one yesterday. I didn't think there was anything wrong with this, but did a google search anyway just to see what other people have said on the matter. From what I've read, it's possible that both my admissions may be rescinded because of my negligence. I accepted the other offer because I knew that I would have my mind made up by Monday, and didn't want to lose my seat in the other program. I am going to call graduate admissions of the school that I won't be going to first thing Monday morning, but the OCD in me can't help but feel like that won't be enough. Did I make a big mistake, or am I just overreacting? I would have never done this if I knew beforehand that it was an unethical thing to do.
Post edited by TheMistake on

Replies to: Accepted admission to 2 graduate programs; worried

  • TheMistakeTheMistake Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Well, I've done some more research on this and, so far, there's nothing that says I can't at least say "yes." I haven't put down the deposits, didn't submit the immunization forms, and haven't registered courses with either college yet. And most of the "admissions will be rescinded if you say yes to both schools" seems to apply mostly to incoming undergraduates. I guess I did overreact, though I will be more careful next time. I was just worried because I worked really hard to make it to this position; sorry for making this topic.
  • TheMistakeTheMistake Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Triple post, but I noticed that this topic has garnered over 100 views so maybe somebody is curious as to how everything went. Well, there was no problem at all: I was able to rectify the situation, and everybody with whom I had contact about it understood perfectly. I guess it really does depend on the environment and how competitive the program is. Still, I will be more careful in the future!
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,234 Senior Member
    Grad school admissions and undergraduate admissions are completely different animals. You need to ask this in the Grad School Forum. Go back to the main page where all of the forums are listed, and then scroll down to find it. Or, follow this link: Graduate School - College Confidential

    Future readers who are in this situation would be best advised to to make a decision about the programs, and write a letter to the one(s) that they will not be attending. Thank them for their time, and tell them that you have had a change of plans. Then, send a deposit to the program that you do intend to join.
This discussion has been closed.