Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

When are you considered a CA resident?

sssalamisssalami Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I was born and resided in California for the past 19 years. I attended UNLV for two years and returned to Roseville, CA about a year ago (both my parents have been California residents). Am I considered a CA resident?
Post edited by sssalami on

Replies to: When are you considered a CA resident?

• AlterEgooAlterEgoo - Posts: 22 New Member
    duuh! come on...19 years..to be considered a california resident you have to have residency there for 7 years straight on. Your a California resident for sure.
  • 205mom205mom Registered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
    If you are under 24 years of age and your parents are paying the tuition, it is THEY who must be residents. If they have been residing in the state for a full year before you apply, you will be charged in-state tuition if accepted to a state university.

If you have been officially emancipated (a judge will have to decide this for those who are below a certain age, though I’m not sure exactly what age) then you yourself must have resided in California for at least a year, paying your own bills, before you apply.

And it is very difficult to apply as a non-resident, and then convert your status to a resident. Otherwise almost all out-of state applicants will declare themselves to have lived in California for the first year of school, and ‘now’ be eligible for in-state tuition. It does not happen.

Make sure you are a resident BEFORE you apply.

If the conditions stated in the first paragraph apply to you, (I gather from your post as much) then you are a resident now.
  • paronomasiaparonomasia Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    Is it easier to be accepted as an out-of-state student rather than a resident?

I have one parent who lives and works (and thus files taxes in) CA, while I live in another state with the other parent.
  • 205mom205mom Registered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
    Despite grumblings on another thread that out-of-staters have it easier, I think it is still easier for in-state residents.

What is true is that the last two years (and this year in particular) it has become easier than it used to be for out-of-state applicants.

However, the difference in cost is VERY real. This must be the paramount consideration, as changing the status later is rarely granted.
This discussion has been closed.