Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

My Advice to the High School Class of 2015

Replies to: My Advice to the High School Class of 2015

• vijitdvijitd Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Can you share with us what was your SAT score and what type of extracurricular activities were you into so that we get to know what type of students have a chance at Ivys, and please also name the colleges that you'd applied to. Only if you're okay with sharing this information.
  • green678green678 Registered User Posts: 618 Member
    @KeDIX1414‌ Yours is one of the most thoughtful posts I've read on this website. I'm going to show this to my child, who will be going through admissions next year.
  • NewHavenCTmomNewHavenCTmom Registered User Posts: 2,028 Senior Member
    DD actually applied to 11 schools, most were reaches (for everyone) and she was rejected by Brown & Tulane. She was accepted to 3 Ivies and will attend Yale in the fall. I suggested that she add more safeties, but she didn't find any that she liked/could see herself at.

Another way dd showed interest? After meeting with the regional reps at her school and adcoms at the June 2013 QuestBridge conference, she sat down and wrote thank you cards...a few even emailed her to say that they were delighted with her correspondence and they couldn't wait to read her application.
  • fairyfantasyfairyfantasy Registered User Posts: 384 Member
    Thanks for everyone's response to my question! :) I will keep them in mind when I go to a college conference in a few weeks and meet the regional reps.
  • Christobal21Christobal21 Registered User Posts: 117 Junior Member
    Bravo, great post. Signing up for newsletters probably isn't worth that much honestly. If you are really interested be sure to call them and ask about possible visits pending you financial situation and then you could later explain that it just wasn't financially possible.
  • dustypigdustypig Registered User Posts: 925 Member
    Lots of helpful advice here. I wonder though, should students at the top end for scores and grades really limit the number of reach schools they apply to? I'm talking about students whose stats fall near the top of the range of accepted students' stats for schools with <10% acceptance rate. (This does not describe my own D, so I'm asking purely for the benefit of others and out of academic curiosity.) I've heard it said that HYP etc. are a reach for everyone. Maybe that means that for students like that, there really are no matches, so where another student might choose 2 reaches and 4 matches, these students are applying to 6 super-competitive schools as reaches, and then a few schools in the 10%-20% acceptance range as safeties.
  • NewHavenCTmomNewHavenCTmom Registered User Posts: 2,028 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    I think students need to know that any school with an acceptance rate of <20% is a reach. No matter the stats/scores. One never knows what the adcoms are looking for. This site was filled with high stat/high score students who were rejected by every school on their list. The admissions game is a crap shoot...and students need to make sure they market themselves well & are a great fit for the school. Even the major they select can make a difference. DD was rejected by Tulane and accepted by Yale! Something that we never expected!!
  • alwayswonderinesalwayswonderines Registered User Posts: 196 Junior Member
    OP I love this thread!
    my input

To the Class of 2015 and future seniors in general:

Do not apply to too many schools!
    It is costly and makes no sense! Obviously acceptances are great but if you apply to too many reaches and matches it is likely you will receive a hefty amount of rejections. Who wants to pay upwards 70 bucks for a rejection letter?

Apply to a variety of schools!
    Coming from California, too many classmates assumed they would automatically get accepted to any of the UCs (Davis, Irvine, SD - the popular ones) and had a chance at the competitive ones (LA and Berk). Many of them got rejected from all of them. Don't do that! Make sure you have 2-3 safeties on your list. A similar amount of matches. A couple of reaches. Don't assume you're a shoo in for your match, either. Anything can happen.

Acceptance rates can change
    They can change dramatically year to year. UC Berkeley's acceptance rate was 20% in 2013 and then 17% in 2014. -3%, considering the amount of students that apply, is a lot. Admissions are unpredictable.

Be happy for your friends.
    If your friends gets in and you don't, don't get mad/upset. Try your best to be happy even if you believe you deserve a spot there more. Acceptances are no measure of your capacity or self worth. Real friends at least try to be happy for their friends. It is part of growing up.

Look on the brightside, even if you don't like the college you'll be attending.
    A great student will find great opportunities anywhere! Location matters and the strength in a school matter, yes. But try to see what great things you can do at your new school, even if it isn't your first choice.
  • starcarnivalsstarcarnivals Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    The best piece of advice I have to give:
    Don't get hung up on prestige and rankings. Especially when it comes to Liberal Arts schools, there are soo many great schools that no one you know has ever heard of, and it makes no sense to pass them up just because they aren't an Ivy. When searching for schools, I got so unnecessarily hung up on US News rankings and I could have saved myself a ton of stress (and STILL ended up at my dream school) had I concentrated more on finding the right programs in the right locations.

Also, I strongly second the advice to talk about financial expectations beforehand. I fell in love with (and got accepted to) a school there was NO WAY I could afford, and turning them down hurt more than not applying would have.
  • lilaznswimmalilaznswimma Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    @fairfantasy you should demonstrate in your essays why you pick that school over others or why are you interested in that school. usually colleges ask that in your writing supplement part of your application.
This discussion has been closed.