Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Acceptance Shaming ("she only got in because she's _______")

Replies to: Acceptance Shaming ("she only got in because she's _______")

• collegebound752collegebound752 Registered User Posts: 558 Member
    That makes me so happy :0
  • streetcredstreetcred Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    @NewHavenCTMom - yes your daughter does sound 'amazing' but there are so many just like her, like my 'amazing' child who deserve entrance to these ivies. With the common app,etc.. alot of it is crapshoot now AND it is true that these schools to have to diversify. If my child like yours who is in the top 5% of his class were paired against your amazing daughter he'd likely not have a chance at a school like Yale, because they want diversity. I think my son is pretty amazing but I guess we all think our kid are.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 5,822 Senior Member
    Streetcred wrote: If my child like yours who is in the top 5% of his class were paired against your amazing daughter he'd likely not have a chance at a school like Yale, because they want diversity.

Why wouldn't he have a chance? That sounds to me like you think NewHavenCTmom's DD only got accepted to Yale because she's black.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,612 Senior Member
    Uh-oh, will this thread decline into the usual ill will? My kid doesn't stand a chance because... Some may feel that way, but admissions is complex and hinges on your record and your application.

It's a well written article, right touch. Good people can offer genuine congrats and move forward.
    Because he got rejected by every Ivy and elite school he applied to - so many like him out there unfortunately for him. But he is very happy where he is going.. And the common app makes it so much easier for the many like him apply - competition is fierce. I didn't say because she was black, but because she has more diversity than my son obviously, perhaps race being one thing that sets her apart from my kid. This Asian girl NewHavenCTmom speaks of may have some outstanding qualities as well. She just speaks so much of her amazing, accomplished daughter - well there are alot of amazing, accomplished kids - not all got into Ivies and they will do just fine - its not the be all end all thank god..
  • NewHavenCTmomNewHavenCTmom Registered User Posts: 2,022 Senior Member
    @streetcred‌ @lookingforward‌ @austinmshauri‌ @collegebound52‌

When streetcred uses the word deserves, it makes me feel uncomfortable. It hints of entitlement. Which I absolutely hate. DD has worked her ass off for almost 4 years. But nothing was guaranteed. Each and every acceptance was a blessing. Brown said no and rejected her. Did she deserve to be there? Apparently not. She wasn't what they wanted. Her stats, ECs, essays were not Brown quality. So be it.

We did not go into the admissions cycle assuming that she deserved a golden ticket. Having that mind set is a recipe for disaster. It's also in poor taste to assume that your son lost his spot to my dd. So nice of you to assume that her black skin makes her inferior.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,612 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    I think it hints of that same thing I harp on- the idea your hs record, standing, respect, (in that small context of your high school, its standards and those peers,) are all it takes to impress an adcom at a most selective college. (As if it were some competition for "student of the year" or NHS.)

The "lookback" in an admissions review does show a kid's drives and follow through. But the application and supp are then where he presents himself, more about his vision, perspective and other factors the college needs to see. (And I keep saying, the killer to worry about is geo diversity.)

NHCTmom, it's been clear to me, all along, that you didn't "assume" anything for your girl, that you were preparing her to take on the challenge as wisely as she could. And that both of you would take the results and move forward with strength. That, to me, is very wise. Yay for her and best wishes.

But really, we also need to say yay for all the kids embarking on this next phase- moving forward is what matters.
    edited May 2014
    Sorry NewHavenCTmom- did I SAY she got in because she was black? NOPE... DIVERSITY IS WHAT I SAID - YOU brought in the race card commenting about the "Asian' girl - did you have to mention she was Asian? YOU are saying how hard your daughter worked - My son and I'm sure everyone elses child who strives for IVY's deserves to be there if they are in in the top 5% and giving it their all. From all your boasting about her and her accomplishments it would be really interesting to see if you had the same opinion if she were rejected. YOU make it sound like your daughter deserves to be going to Yale more than this 'Asian' girl -- With a Mom like you I think not bragging and putting down the 'Asian' girl I think not... PEACE OUT!!!
    No. You kept it classy and said that they want "diversity". Lol but okay. I can't read between the lines.
    "DD is in the top 5% of her class! amazing Ecs that are very unique, rigorous/interesting summer experiences each summer, amazing LORs that brought tears to my eyes, great ACT SCORES, she took a rigorous course load, doubling up on sciences, language and math for 3 years. Dual enrollment at our local state college, lots of awards.."

Blah Blah Blah , all of our kids have these stats - i know mine does but i'm not rubbing it in anyone's face and criticizing another kid based on their race -THAT is racists - THAT is what you appear to be. BTW, I have a nephew who is black that I adore so I AM NOT A RACIST...

Okay. It doesn't make any difference if you are or are not. It's fine.
    edited May 2014
    So you can't respond to why you signalled out the girl as 'Asian"? Didn't think so . Thank Jesus your daughter is the humble one in your family :))
  • guineagirl96guineagirl96 Registered User Posts: 3,627 Senior Member
    @streetcred‌ you are being very immature and insulting. Please stop. You are criticizing them and you are no better than those who believe they shouldn't have gotten in. You sound entitled. OP mentioned being black because that is why kids thought she got in, but OP was arguing that that isn't necessarily true. Your insults are not appreciated.Op also did not criticize anyone based on their race.
    I just reread your post. A girl tells my dd that she was only admitted to Yale because she is a black quota & I'm the racist? Not sure how you made that leap....Lol again, okay...whatever you say!
This discussion has been closed.