Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Acceptance Shaming ("she only got in because she's _______")

Replies to: Acceptance Shaming ("she only got in because she's _______")

• lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 29,946 Senior Member
    Yow, streetcred. What do you think elite admissions is really about? Kid X and every other top performer in every hs out there should get an auto admit? After all, they were good in hs? From 13-17? No one needs to vet them or match them?

As many longer-time posters will tell you, this isn't "rack 'em and stack 'em."
  • guineagirl96guineagirl96 Forum Champion Math/Computer Science, Forum Champion Richmond Posts: 3,845 Forum Champion
    @NewHavenCTmom‌ ignore streetcred, they are just one of those bitter parents you are speaking of who thinks their kid is entitled. Congrats to your daughter and good luck in her future!
  • NewHavenCTmomNewHavenCTmom Registered User Posts: 2,025 Senior Member
    Because the Asian population has a huge sense of entitlement when it comes to college admissions. You know that as well as I do. It mattered because it was relevant to what we discuss here on CC. My daughter "beat" her at her own "I deserve everything" game. Again, your opinion doesn't matter.
  • RenaissanceMomRenaissanceMom Registered User Posts: 1,078 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    Man, this is an unfortunate thread all around. I wish ppl would stop categorizing ppl who belong to a particular race, whether they're black, Asian, white or Martian.

The truth is that the vast majority of the kids applying to the ivies and other top 30 schools have amazing credentials, on par with those of newhavenctmom's daughter, and most will be rejected. Schools indicate whether they take into consideration racial/ethnic status on their common data sets (Yale, for instance, checks that it does consider such status). But clearly, regardless of that status, the kid needs the goods to get in. And more than that, they need to seem like a good fit/match for the school, which is perhaps why newhavenctmom's D didn't get into brown. (My own S1 was rejected by Dartmouth but accepted to uchicago, brown and penn, and truthfully, I understood that decision bc he wasn't really at all a match for Dartmouth. He was an artsy, STEM, intellectual kid who didn't party at all in high school, and would have been a fish out of water at Dartmouth.)

Life is too short to live with bitterness. We should all just be happy for each other and move on, but move on with some compassion for the kids who didn't get in. Most of them worked very hard and they're understandably disappointed.

As an aside: Newhavenctmom, one of your daughter's biggest assets was your support. You managed her college process from freshman year onward as well as Michelle Hernandez would have. Kudos to you...i admire how hard you worked on her behalf learning all you could from this site and implementing it. I also remember how frustrated you were on our parent thread when she didn't open up her ACT book, but clearly she knocked it out of the park! Congrats to you and to her!
  • xyscholarxyscholar Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    People always say "oh you don't know the whole application"
    The young man who got into all the ivy league schools released his main essay. It was no doubt well written, but it was far from special. It was trite, and I've read many better ones from my fellow classmates.
  • blprofblprof Registered User Posts: 775 Member
    xyscholar - so now you are saying that since you read the essay, you can make a judgment about the student's suitability as a student at an Ivy League school? Man, you should call up the admissions offices at all these top schools and let them know you're available, since you can make a judgment based on some information released to the media.
  • blprofblprof Registered User Posts: 775 Member
    ^ Didn't mean for that to come off so harshly. Some of the comments on here just got my dander up. I like Renaissancemom's idea: to just be happy for others and move on.
  • picktailspicktails Registered User Posts: 442 Member
    edited May 2014
    Been following this thread closely, as my AA daughter has been accepted to Penn, class of 2018. The assumptions people make here are startling, especially the supposition that the ivies are somehow choosing their classes poorly. If that were the case, we'd see media headlines regarding the struggle of these "lesser-than" students at elite institutions. I believe the outcome is quite the opposite, and the underrepresented chosen few are as successful and their peers. Obviously the schools see something quite worthy in their selection.
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 5,649 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    If my child like yours who is in the top 5% of his class were paired against your amazing daughter he'd likely not have a chance at a school like Yale, because they want diversity.

There are still roughly 7 white/non-Hispanic/non-Asian kids for every black kid at Yale and Asian kids outnumber blacks by a margin of 2 1/2 to 1 despite making up a far smaller percentage of the US population. Just sayin'...

http://oir.yale.edu/sites/default/files/CDS2013_2014.pdf
  • siliconvalleymomsiliconvalleymom Registered User Posts: 4,461 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    There have been a number of media headlines exploring this issue.
    One example is from the Journal of Blacks in Higher Education:
    http://www.jbhe.com/2013/11/black-student-graduation-rates-at-high-ranking-colleges-and-universities/
    The short answer is that success in college depends on the student and the school, but that some colleges have significantly different graduation rates and it is important to understand why.
  • takeitallintakeitallin Registered User Posts: 3,378 Senior Member
    This thread seems to have headed down the wrong road right from the start. Someone asked earlier why more people were not responding- so far there are many repeat-responders here. The main reason I didn't respond earlier is that when I saw the title, I thought "so what?" Get used to it. Not only will students experience this during the college admission process, but many may experience this in life in general- he only got the promotion because he is (black, asian, etc.)...that guy is only dating her instead of me because she (use your imagination)...she got that scholarship instead of me because she is low income... you get the picture. There are always going to be people who feel entitled, but the best revenge is just continuing to do the best you can without any expectation for rewards. It generally does not do any good to try to justify your rewards to others who are making nasty comments as it can drop you down to their level. Smile, walk away, and keep plugging away. Most people surrounding you will recognize that you worked hard for what you are getting; for those who don't, it is their problem.
  • 2018dad2018dad Registered User Posts: 1,168 Senior Member
    Because the Asian population has a huge sense of entitlement when it comes to college admissions.
    While I don't necessarily agree, I respect your opinion.
  • streetcredstreetcred Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    @RennaissanceMom said it correctly --- from the beginning this thread started with a Black Parent coming down on an Asian girl . I am not rude, I am not racists -for someone to say "Because the Asian population has a huge sense of entitlement when it comes to college admissions" that is REALLY racist!!! How anyone could defend a racist regardless of her 'amazing' daughter is beyond me.. Yikes.. I am glad I don't feel that my son was rejected at a certain school because of an Asian kid! My son's best friend is Asian, going to an IVY and deserves to be the
  • streetcredstreetcred Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    edited May 2014
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 29,946 Senior Member
    No, this thread started with a well written article on the senselessness of shaming. And when one poster said it had happened to her girl, some few had to get all hot and bothered about some word or some pride. We can move forward- or keep recycling this.
    I'm sorry OP's nicely done piece got smothered in the ruckus. CC usually responds well to a young 'un who can make a good point.
This discussion has been closed.