Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Acceptance Shaming ("she only got in because she's _______")

Replies to: Acceptance Shaming ("she only got in because she's _______")

• DuceandaquarterDuceandaquarter Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    @streetcred‌

You say that fellow CC members are stalking you? Then how & why did you end up at the Yale thread? You remind me of my children when they were small...always quick to cast dispersions on others, but not willing to admit your own wrong doing. Your antics are quite comical. You say how others are racist, but you have some incredibly far fetched ideas yourself....your words are downright mean and hateful.

Again, not seeing the hypocrisy of your own views. I'm beginning to wonder if you are a comedy writer. Are you for real?

@lookingforward‌

Her goal is to incite hate, she doesn't realize how pitiful she looks..
  • GA2012MOMGA2012MOM Registered User Posts: 5,440 Senior Member
    I think TannerSmith might be streetcreds kid. ;)
  • streetcredstreetcred Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    edited May 2014
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/26/opinion/sunday/what-drives-success.html

Excerpt from this may support my Tanner Smith..

Take New York City’s selective public high schools like Stuyvesant and Bronx Science, which are major Ivy League feeders. For the 2013 school year, Stuyvesant High School offered admission, based solely on a standardized entrance exam, to nine black students, 24 Hispanics, 177 whites and 620 Asians. Among the Asians of Chinese origin, many are the children of restaurant workers and other working-class immigrants.

Merely stating the fact that certain groups do better than others — as measured by income, test scores and so on — is enough to provoke a firestorm in America today, and even charges of racism. The irony is that the facts actually debunk racial stereotypes.
  • GA2012MOMGA2012MOM Registered User Posts: 5,440 Senior Member
    Kids that apply to those two schools are a self selcting group. Without knowing how many of each ethnic group applied, those numbers are meaningless.
    edited May 2014
    It is meaningful - it gives credibility to the Asian community who are thought of as feeling entitled..
  • Kitten23Kitten23 Registered User Posts: 576 Member
    Some people on this thread really need to watch what they say. A lot of racism is going on; you know who you are.... I'm not even a minority and these statements against different ethnic groups bother me. Grow up.
  • picktailspicktails Registered User Posts: 442 Member
    edited May 2014
    Again, streetcred, you are citing HIGH SCHOOL policy. The top tier college institutions have deemed something quite worthy in their admits, albeit with less than perfect test scores. I'm sure you can find high caliber post-secondary schools that have admissions policies that more align with your own. Maybe you'll garner more support on threads that discuss a single-minded, simplistic view of higher education.
    edited May 2014
    HIGH SCHOOLS THAT ARE MAJOR IVY LEAGUE FEEDERS @picktails..... did you read that? :)>-
    @streetcred‌

Do you know what a hag wan is? I'm sure you realize that they are quite popular in places like NYC. They are filled with students from ages 5 and up. Students who spend countless hours performing rote math. Their parents spend thousands upon thousands of dollars throughout their children's lives. To ensure that they outperform others in admissions tests.

It's a fact, that if one spends almost every waking hour(besides when attending school), in a hag wan(aka cram school), for 10+ years of their lives, of course they will do well! Not unlike a stellar athlete...It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out...

I'm not taking anything away from anyone...but when one has 10+ years of practice & constant testing, they SHOULD outperform their counterparts. I applaud their parents for having the foresight to come to this country and figure out how to outperform others on a consistent basis.

But when those students call foul in a process that ISN'T GUARANTEED to them, it gets old and makes them look very spoiled!

Just as a winning $250 million powerball ticket isn't guaranteed to anyone, neither is acceptance to an elite college.
    Which is irrelevant, as your link discusses high school admission policy. How does this relate to the stated topic of this thread?
    edited May 2014
    Heads up to whomever suggested going to the race in admissions thread - Tanner just chimed in there with his world view. Actually national - he thinks the U.S. is a meritocracy. How do these instigators think they are top tier material? Misinformation and poor grammar abound.
    @streetcred‌ is the one who is envious. It shows in her consistent bashing of URMs. It's funny, @NewHavenCTmom‌ has gotten you so fired up and p*ssed off. Your anger shows just how jealous you are. Pipe down you are far too transparent!
    edited May 2014
    @Duceandaquarter‌ - you applaud them but then in the next breath you say 'it makes them look very spoiled"? There is nothing wrong with making an investment in your child at an early age to make them more successful. I'm sure that helps keep them off drugs and street corners. More people ought to make investments in their children at a young age - instead of expecting the tax payers to do it for them.

• 2018dad2018dad Registered User Posts: 1,171 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    Deleted.
This discussion has been closed.