Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

College Application Results and Final Decision

immaseniorimmasenior Registered User Posts: 379 Member
I originally posted this in College Search and Selection, unaware that this board existed. This seems an appropriate place to post it.

CC has been helpful over the past 6 months. This site has offered me invaluable information about the application process. I feel obligated to post my results; Maybe my information will be of help to a rising senior in a similar situation.

A brief overview of my application:

Academic: top 10% in class, 95/100 gpa, 2230 SAT, many dual enrollment courses related to engineering

Extracirricular: 4 year varsity soccer letterman, captain, all section, 2 year tennis letterman, excellent musical ECs, independent music, A couple clubs, NHS, Lots of work experience

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I began considering schools late in the summer after my junior year. I wanted to be a biomedical engineer. I was absolutely fascinated by the field and still am today. Here are the schools I applied to.

Schools:
Stanford
Duke
Johns Hopkins
Georgia Tech
Penn State
Pitt
Case Western
St. Olaf

* I actually applied to ~20 schools, but for the sake of brevity, I am only including the significant ones. *

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stanford- I applied regular decision with my friend because we both had dreams of living in California at the best school in the world doing what we loved. I knew all along that I had no chance, but it didn't keep me from hoping. I took a few risks on my essays because I figured it would help me stand out. I applied under the bioengineering major with a secondary interest in music technology. I sent in multiple updates via fax about things I had accomplished after I submitted my application. I was rejected.

Duke- Duke was the only school that offered me an interview. I thought it went very well; my interviewer said he was very impressed and said he expected I would be accepted based off of my dual enrollment pursuits. I wasn't optimistic, however. I knew that the admit rate for RD would be terrible. I applied to Pratt as a biomedical engineer. I also sent in multiple fax updates. I was rejected.

Johns Hopkins- I put more time into this application than any other. I figured it was my best shot at a top twenty school. I applied as a biomedical engineer, hopeful that I could at least get into the school if not the BME program. I displayed an interest in cross registering at the Peabody conservatory to take courses for recording arts and sciences. I applied RD. I was rejected.

Georgia Tech- I applied RD to Tech. I was accepted, which, at the time, felt like a pretty big accomplishment. I am out of state and it was the RD round. Yay me. Unfortunately, complications arose with the fafsa and I could not correct the mistakes in time to receive a financial aid package. I received no aid, scholarship, or loans from Tech.

Penn State- I applied at Penn State early in January. This was idiotic and probably one of my biggest regrets in the whole process. I would have been a good contender for Schreyer had I applied on time. I was rejected from Main, presumably becuase spots were already filled. I was accepted to a branch campus with some scholarship and aid. PSU is by far my most affordable option.

Pitt- I applied to Pitt once I realized things weren't panning out with my other schools. I actually applied in early April, fully aware that my chances with Swanson were slim to none. I received an email 3 weeks ago saying I was accepted at Dietrich but waitlisted at Swanson. I am currently on the waitlist. I could not chose to accept Dietrich and the waitlist. Due to how late I applied, I received zero aid.

Case Western- I thought I would be a shoe in at Case, and in the fall, Case was my number one choice. I applied early action as a biomedical engineer and was deferred. I was disheartened at this point and began looking for a new school to focus on. Come the RD round, I was waitlisted. Two days ago I received an email from Case saying that I was accepted off the waitlist with a substantial scholarship and financial aid offer.

St. Olaf- I applied to St. Olaf because it was free and had a good music and math program. I enjoyed writing my essay for St. Olaf more than any other school. I got to write about my two greatest passions: Music and mathematics. However, the rest of my application was not nearly what it could have been. I didn't edit/revise anything. I didn't include anything about my dual enrollment pursuits. What did I care though? The school is 1000 miles away and I wasn't seriously considering it. The school doesn't have an engineering department so I applied as a math major. I was accepted with a decent scholarship and good aid.

My regrets:
-General lack of knowledge during the application process.
-Applying late to my match schools
-Setting my sights too high
-Not spending enough time on my applications to my match schools. I feel I could have gotten way more merit scholarship.
-Didn't apply ED anywhere

This is not a full list. If I wrote down every regret I have had during this whole process, this post would qualify as a novel. If you would like to know specifically what I would have done differently, let me know.

My decision:

This evening, I decided that I will be attending St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota. I will be double majoring in mathematics and musical composition. Are you confused? You should be. I sure am.

For the past two years, I have been certain that engineering is right for me. I have taken many math and engineering courses outside of high school, and all my teachers and peers have expected me to pursue that. However, music has always been a big part of my life as well. I have performed in many ensembles with many talented people. I have also had a passion for writing music. As a matter of fact, my senior project was to compose a piece for our concert band to perform. Extremely long story extremely short: Over the past two months I have fallen in love with St. Olaf. I have realized that I need to pursue my passion for composition. I actually just got home today from my weekend visit on campus. It is a gorgeous place with incredible people. I know I might sound fickle and naive, but I assure you this decision was well thought out and all things have been considered. I have just chosen to condense my decision making process to save space. I can expand upon my decision in the comments if anybody would like to know.

I am glad that I was rejected by JHU, Duke, and Stanford. I mean that with utmost sincerity. If I were accepted, I would have been blinded by prestige and unable to make my decision wisely.

I hate cliches, but it seems appropriate to say that everything happens for a reason. I don't believe in fate or higher powers controlling what goes on in the world, so there might be a better way to say what I am thinking. Be prepared for rejection. Always look for opportunities. Pursue your passion. There, that's better.

Replies to: College Application Results and Final Decision

• 1203southview1203southview Registered User Posts: 464 Member
    Thank you for sharing. I am surprised you didn't get into more schools with your stats/credentials but it is terrific that it worked out so well for you in the end. I think this is a great cautionary tale about applying too late to match schools. Some things that might have been done differently: 1) apply to one ED school IF there is a top/favorite school that you could afford, 2) apply concurrently to some EA schools. You certainly applied to enough schools.
  • immaseniorimmasenior Registered User Posts: 379 Member
    edited May 2014
    You certainly applied to enough schools.

I applied to enough schools, yes, but I did things backwards. I spent every bit of energy on my reach school apps and my match school apps were more or less an afterthought. It should have been the other way around. I am happy with how things turned out, and I think that I am lucky to be genuinely ecstatic about this fall.
This discussion has been closed.