Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

My Advice to College Applicants (I wish someone had told me this before I started applying)

2»

Replies to: My Advice to College Applicants (I wish someone had told me this before I started applying)

• anon145anon145 Registered User Posts: 322 Member
    If your state has in state tuition and decent schools start with some of those. University of California, (CA residents) University of North Carolina (NC residents). I would have thought UVA and VaTech would have been wise for OP? Many experts say for majors without high earning potential even going to an Ivy may not be worth the debt. (If you want to be an K-12 teacher no need to pile on 250K to get an "elite" education, Public U. is fine) Don't apply to any elite school (<15% acceptance) without making the 75% tile test score range (if you are not URM, legacy or recruited athlete) nces.ed.gov college navigator better than common data set. For athletes Ivy league only needs 30ACT they are looking for top in state athletes not top in state students.
  • whatisfafsawhatisfafsa Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    Congrats @emmajac - nice insights especially on "chance" comment. You write well.

On the debt: I don't quite agree. Cost is my #1 criteria along with accreditation.
    Son is applying for engineering major. So ABET accreditation is critical but also cost. Similar to other majors.
    After you graduate, whether the degree is from Rutgers, Penn State, Iowa, Arizona, UC-Davis (all being in state) or any private school or OOS, to the employers there is not much difference including salary. The difference is in what you owe, and thus, forcing you to take the first job not the first best job.
    Reputable college is critical. Cost is critical. I would also recommend as a path: 2-year JC and complete at a reputable State University. Cost is critical.
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    edited March 8
    Sorry but it’s you SAT scores and grades that get your essays read to begin with at elite schools. There’s simply not enough time to read them all.

Stats don’t replace a great essay and a great esssy doesn’t replace them. It’s both.

Look at numbers of applications and staff at these schools. Even in the maybe pile your essay’s first look might get 3 minutes. The closer you get the more it’s read and highlighted. So important for sure.

But it’s all important.
  • CaitlinRookeCaitlinRooke Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Thanks
2»