right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

College Early Options

hexer12hexer12 0 replies2 postsRegistered User New Member
Hey everyone, so I’m applying to college this fall with many of you, my fellow peers. I visited multiple schools, and my favorites were Yale, UPenn, and Duke. My original plan after talking to my class of 2019 high school friends was to ED to Duke, which they say a student like me has a really good shot of getting in early. But in visiting these schools, I absolutely love UPenn and Yale as well. My dilemma now is do I want to go for that reach with Yale and jeopardize my chances of getting into either UPenn or Duke, or should I play it safe and apply to a UPenn or Duke? This question is mostly posed toward people who have been through this process before. Another thing. I really want to know what schools I will get into in the spring, but also want to have a “very high chance” of getting into a top school. Thanks.
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: College Early Options

• onthewestfenceonthewestfence 206 replies4 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @hexer12 Don't waste that magic bullet. An expression you'll see here often is to "love the school that loves you." Love the ones who accept you.
    Since many of the schools you prefer have extremely low acceptance rates, use your ED wisely. Otherwise, EA and RD are available.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 28777 replies56 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    THAT is the conundrum of ED. If you have a clear favorite school, it’s wonderful. You give yourself a bit of a boost in acceptance by locking it in early. Also saved you the trouble snd expense of going through the full admissions gauntlet.

Your problem is that your favorite school is Yale. But your chances are still very very low in getting accepted there even early. Your chances are better applying ED to Penn or to Duke. The only one who can decide what to do is you because there are trade offs in risks. You know the situation. There is no best answer to this.

Some kids I well knew who were top drawer prospects, were deferred from their early applications which really made for bleak holidays and a long nerve wracking 4 months. One did get into his first choice school after the deferral and was rejected from his next to the top choices RD. One of the schools was Penn where he lost his legacy hook by applying RD there. That hurt. The other was deferred EA and rejected during the regular cycle. Also rejected from his second choice school RD But he did have other excellent choices. His second choice school was also so selective that it was really a lottery ticket even early,

The solution hinges greatly on how you feel, your emotional state in terms of possible outcomes.
    · Reply · Share