right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Should I Interview on a Whirlwind Tour Day?

aphroditeayeletaphroditeayelet 44 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
Hi!
I have been trying to find a way to tour some of my top colleges and the only way that it looks like it will work out (logistically and financially) is through a whirlwind fly-in, tour, fly-out day. My question is: would it make sense to have an on-campus interview on that already hectic day or wait and do an alum interview after the fact?
I would appreciate any insight you have.
Thank you so much!
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I Interview on a Whirlwind Tour Day?

• BKSquaredBKSquared 1381 replies7 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    A couple of things to consider:

1. Are the on campus interviews conducted by an admissions officer or an upperclassmen who works for the AO? If it will be an admissions officer, I would shoot for that if you think you interview well. If it will be a student, then the question is if you will be more comfortable with a person closer to your age and knows what's going on now on campus or an older person who can tie his college experience to his subsequent career and who is likely a member of your community (town/city/county)?

2. How hectic will that day be and how prepared do you think you will be?
    · Reply · Share
  • allyphoeallyphoe 2385 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Personal preference, based on what you know about yourself. My kid has two interviews scheduled on whirlwind tour days, where the only available interview spots were first thing in the morning - before the tour or information session or class visits. She has had good experiences with previous interviews and knows why she's interested in those schools, so was fine with that schedule.
    · Reply · Share
  • helpingmom40helpingmom40 58 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I think it depends on what you know about the school. If you have done some research ahead of time and have some specific questions or talking points ready, it would be fine to do it all on one day. If not, I would wait. We have done whirlwind tours (7 schools in 5 days, 3 schools in 2 days) but did not do any interviews at that time. We went back for interviews when DD decided which schools she liked and those were whirlwinds, too (3 interviews in 2 days, two different trips with 3-4 hour drives). I think it helped her to know things about the schools ahead of time and have an idea what she wanted to talk about, plus she didn’t spend unnecessary time at a school she ended up not liking in person.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7254 replies56 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I agree that it depends on who is doing the interviewing. If it's an adcom on campus, take the time to do the interview.
    · Reply · Share
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal 5705 replies10 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'd do it at the school if possible. Even if it's a student interviewer, you are more likely to get good answers to your questions than you would from an alum. (I say this as someone who has been an alumni interviewer.) And on occasion, an interviewer on campus can help connect you with whatever interests you most, whether it's a coach, a prof, or as tour guide involved with something that you might pursue.

It can also help a whirlwind day if it has some structure, which this may provide.

Definitely do your research beforehand!
    · Reply · Share