Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How to ask for recommendations?

1585960616264»

Replies to: How to ask for recommendations?

• mathmomvtmathmomvt Registered User Posts: 4,520 Senior Member
    @london2va‌ talk to your guidance counselor. They may be able to approach the teacher on your behalf to point out the errors and ask the teacher to please make corrections. Good luck!
  • miopyon13miopyon13 Registered User Posts: 150 Junior Member
    @london2va‌ I want to mention that it's okay to see your recommendation. You've waived your right, which means the teacher doesn't HAVE to show you it. But since your teacher knowingly sent it to you, it's okay. Sometimes teachers send it to the students, one of my teachers sent me a copy of my rec as well.
  • dreaming123dreaming123 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    definitely ask in person. It makes your request feel genuine. Also, now recs can be sent electronically. Make sure you give the teacher plenty of time and ask them what you should provide them with
  • healthandmusichealthandmusic Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    Are teachers usually impressed by that and do they like that?
  • noemiinoemii Registered User Posts: 144 Junior Member
    edited March 2015
    @healthandmusic
    Are teachers usually impressed by that and do they like that?
    What is "that"?

Are you referring to asking in person? If so, then yes, it's preferable to ask them in person. If you're going to ask for a rec from them, then you should be comfortable with talking to them in person, anyways.
  • mommaknowsbestmommaknowsbest Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    Make sure to give them separate envelopes that already have the address written out and include a stamp.
  • 4beardolls4beardolls Registered User Posts: 1,487 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    ^^ Majority of recommendation requests and submissions are now done on-line.
  • GrandBudapestGrandBudapest Registered User Posts: 276 Junior Member
    Do recs have to be from junior/senior teachers? I've been an assistant to my freshman science teacher both my sophomore and junior (this) years. Would that work out for my math/science rec? Also, I feel that this teacher knows me the best so I don't want it to be a supplemental rec letter...
  • veircgveircg Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    @GrandBudapest I think it will do, but I'm just another applicant. Try to get in touch with someone in that univ, whether it's a student blogger or AO, as long as you think they will have time to respond.
This discussion has been closed.