Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Tips on the College Admission Process

Replies to: Tips on the College Admission Process

• lavannlavann Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    thanx a lot!
    very informative
  • califacalifa Registered User Posts: 329 Member
    Thanks - that was very informative.

I wonder how important ECs are to most colleges and how much it hurts to have very few of them. Can ECs be a deal breaker, or does this vary tremendously by college?
  • tokenadulttokenadult Registered User Posts: 17,471 Senior Member
    I guess I'll put an update about extracurricular activities next in my revision queue. The short answer is that depth and continuity of involvement is more important than having a lot of different ECs.
  • Fuzzylogic2525Fuzzylogic2525 Registered User Posts: 321 Member
    I have a question, I have a sub par Gpa compared to the rest of the HYPSM crowd, however I took the most rigorous courses possible compared to the others who carefully chose which AP's to take, which ones they can get A's in (I know, i wasn't thinking straight when i chose my classes). So my question is wheter or not course rigor can overcome a lower GPA like a 3.7?
    course rigor can overcome a lower GPA like a 3.7?

The advice I gave above is general: "apply boldly to a range of colleges of varying selectivity."

Good luck in your applications.
  • Rule34Rule34 - Posts: 156 Junior Member
    all of this speculation is just bull crap. no one can give you advice b/c here's the kicker: if the guy reading your application likes you then your in, if not then your out. test scores, gpa, and dark chocolate are only ways to make him like you more, but in reality this is beyond anyones control. i have been lurking these forums for over 2 years and am yet to uncover any peice of useful info that cannot be attianed through common sense alone. do what your good at and if they like you then they will accept you. BAMF
    One piece of information I have learned is that at a lot of colleges there are more than one reader and those readers have to present their files to a committee for a final decision on each application.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 26,498 Senior Member
    A great post, Tokenadult. Thanks.
  • fabxxfabxx Registered User Posts: 204 Junior Member
    thanks for posting!!
    I appreciate the expressions of thanks. I hope this helps some students who are coming up on their early action deadlines soon.
  • chinnychinchangchinnychinchang Registered User Posts: 512 Member
    Thanks for posting this; it was really helpful!

However, it says to boldly apply to ranges of schools if you have a most rigorous course load and high grades in them, but a mediocre SAT. For someplace like Harvard, would a 600 on the CR or math, be mediocre or waaaayyyyy to low it could be scoffed at? I mean if it's on a section the student has no interest in, and the other two sections are in the 700s...
    Apply where you are interested in getting in. Get interested in a "safety" college if you are applying to highly selective colleges. My definition of a safety college is one that

1) is pretty much certain to admit the applicant, based on its known behavior in acting on recent admission applications,

2) has a strong program in an area the applicant is interested in,

3) is affordable based on its known behavior in acting on financial aid applications,

and

4) is likeable to the applicant.

Good luck in your applications.
  • InnovativeInnovative Registered User Posts: 723 Member
    woah! thanks soo much for the post!!!
  • mommusicmommusic Registered User Posts: 8,301 Senior Member
    JBVirtuoso--have you ever thought of self-studying for an AP exam? If you have a strong interest in history, economics, or other subject you can get a book and prepare yourself for at least one AP test. This shows initiative and partially makes up for your HS not offering any APs.
  • jb12jb12 Registered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    From what I understand going to different Open Houses with my D is that GPA is the most important thing in getting admission followed by SAT or ACT and then extra work, essays.
This discussion has been closed.