right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Heeding An0maly's advice: My reflection after the whole Application and CC process

BrownPennLoverBrownPennLover 225 replies21 postsRegistered User Junior Member
Hi everyone,

11 months ago, I didn't even want to go to US universities (i'm from Indonesia). I thought that I am jet set for Australian universities. My IB journey was great, the qualifications that i need to get an admission from a top Australian institution was already on track. But then I realized that they do not offer what US colleges offer for their undergraduates; a deep approach towards a well rounded academic that we commonly know as liberal arts. Needles to say, I fell in love with the US academic teachings.

I think of the world for Brown and UPenn, and thought that if i aimed for competitive schools like that, I am bound to get somewhere. But there is a problem, SAT tests. God, where do I even start? I was so panicked that I didn't prepare for the test before. I didn't really need it if I was going to Australia. So i started to study them for 4 hours every single day (even on weekends), and I still couldn't get past 1800. They say that people who scores badly at SAT scores better in ACT, so I took the latter, and it turns out I got worse, a composite score of 20 to be exact. I felt as if my hopes of getting into a great university was destroyed.

However, I came across the website that we all love and cherish, CC. I read advices, triumph stories, and magnificent achievements that has all but given me an inspiration to try the hardest that I can. Thus, I kicked myself up and started to work some magic. As a result, I got an internship at a Big 4 (a nickname for the world's greatest group of auditing firms), an achievement that has never been taken by any high school students, for the firms only accepts university juniors and seniors. Surprisingly, the people at CC pushed me even further after my recent achievement, and through that, I realized a talent that i didn't know I possessed, English literature. Hence, I was able to create a poetry book, and now it is about to get published. That to me, is one of the greatest accomplishment that I've ever had.

Although that in the end I got rejected by both Brown, and UPenn, I'm happy to say that I'm now a member of the Wake Forest University Community. It is amazing that a person like me, with such a bad SAT test score can still enter a school that has a better business and liberal arts program than NYU and BC. And all is because of the wonderful community that is College Confidential.

Without you, I could never experience this wonderful college application process, and also the chance to get into a great US university such as Wake Forest.

Once again, thank oh so much for all of your help.

Sincerely,

BrownPennLover

P.S. for Freshman/Sophomore/Juniors: aim for the top, and you're bound to get somewhere
edited April 2010
10 replies
Post edited by BrownPennLover on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Heeding An0maly's advice: My reflection after the whole Application and CC process

This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity