Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.

Full Rides for National Achievement Scholars?

rmoltonrmolton Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
Can anybody give me a list of schools that offer full ride scholarships for National Achievement Scholars? I already know Auburn, Alabama, and University of New Mexico. And I know there are others. Are they mostly the same schools that offer full rides for National Merit Scholars? Thanks in advance.
Post edited by rmolton on

Replies to: Full Rides for National Achievement Scholars?

• daydream11daydream11 Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    A lot of HBCUs do, I believe. I know for a fact that FAMU does; actually, you only need to be a Semifinalist to get that full ride. (I chose to apply for Alabama's Presidential Scholarship over FAMU's full ride; I don't need a degree from a school with a shady administration.)

I found [url="http://www.guaranteed-*****************/"]a list[/url] of all of the schools that guarantee scholarships for NAMS, full rides or small amounts. I have no idea how updated it is, but it's worth a look into. University of Massachusetts Amherst, American University, University of South Florida all give a significant amount of merit aid to NAMS.
  • topasalacqua13topasalacqua13 Registered User Posts: 262 Junior Member
    A school in Utah that begins with a 'W'...'West' something, lol I'm such a big help -_-
  • SilvermoonlockSilvermoonlock Registered User Posts: 469 Junior Member
    Try this thread.
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/national-merit-scholarships/136920-full-rides-national-merit-finalists-scholars.html

A lot of the school do offer scholarships for NASF students. My daughter got tons of mail from University of Iowa, Arizona State and Texas A&M, but there are many other schools out there. If you are a National Achievement Semi-finalist, your mailbox should be overflowing right about now.

The major catch for the scholarships is that you need to select that college as your 1st choice on the SAT. I think you can change it if you call the College Board. Been a while, but it's worth checking out.

Good luck.
  • ksarmandksarmand Registered User Posts: 2,743 Senior Member
    To qualify for the full scholarship for NAF from American University, you have to put it as your first choice school.
  • flushmaverickflushmaverick Registered User Posts: 261 Junior Member
    A school in Utah that begins with a 'W'...'West' something, lol I'm such a big help -_-
    You're thinking of Westminster College in Salt Lake City. I recall getting an offer from them when I was a high school senior.

I believe Iowa State University and the University of Arizona have offers for National Achievement Semifinalists and Finalists. I applied to UA, and it turns out that the scholarship (for me, as an out of state student) only covered $20,000 of the estimated ~$30,000 cost of attendance. In retrospect, only paying $10,000 a year was, by far, the cheapest university option I had.
  • SayzwhoATLSayzwhoATL Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    S is NASF and he got free tuition+ room offer letters from U of AZ and U of AL. None of the letters he received offered to cover books.
  • SilvermoonlockSilvermoonlock Registered User Posts: 469 Junior Member
    You need to check the web sites for the colleges to see just what is offered. My kid ended up at Howard with the Laureate Scholoarship which included a book stipend.

Our expenses for college ended up being spending money for her and transportation home during breaks. It was cheaper to send her to college than it was for high school.

The spending money came out of her college savings account and pretty much guarenteed that she would have money for grad school.
  • uaprophetuaprophet Registered User Posts: 354 Member
    I was a national achievement scholar. I just graduated from the University of Alabama. Virtually "free ride". I received full tuition and housing (you also get a stipend if you don't receive a corporate sponsored scholarship through the national merit program). I majored in engineering and they give generous scholarships as well so I did not have to come out of pocket for anything, except the summer lab course my curriculum required (chemical engineering).
  • beccabambibeccabambi Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    University of Arizona! Also, guaranteed acceptance to their honors program [:
  • beccabambibeccabambi Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Has anyone recieved their Finalist notification yet? School's are supposed to get them today
  • rmoltonrmolton Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    My counselor made an appointment with me tomorrow. And he said its good news. So i'm crossing my fingers that this is it. And I'm looking at Arizona too!
  • MrluggsMrluggs Registered User Posts: 561 Member
    What's the cut off for national achievement scholars?
  • ashleyleeashleylee Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    I recieved my finalist certificate today
  • HarambeeHarambee Registered User Posts: 2,604 Senior Member
    ^Congrats!
  • mommylawmommylaw Registered User Posts: 242 Junior Member
    My D got her finalist notification in the mail today. Nothing from her school.
This discussion has been closed.