Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are my chances of getting into these schools? I am an African American female

hollerbackgirl93hollerbackgirl93 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
edited August 2010 in African-American Students
I have narrowed down my college list and the schools to which I want to apply are: Yale, MIT, Brown, Northwestern, Rice, UPenn, Baylor, and Boston University, i'm also considering Johns Hopkins. I want to get into either a biomedical or chemical engineering program at these schools. My GPA is a 3.96. I got a 31 on my ACT. I got a 5 on both my AP Chem and AP English Tests, and a 4 on US History. I took a very rigorous schedule this year and will have one for next year as well: AP Bio, AP Physics, AP English, AP French, AP Calculus BC, and Government/Econ. I also got a 780 on my chemistry SAT II. I would be the firt person in my family to graduate from college. I do attend a private school on partial scholarship. I play 3 sports a year. I am a part of the NHS, head of the diversity club, vice president for student council and a member in several other clubs( Science, Victorian Literature). I teach with Breakthrough Collaborative during my summers and during this upcoming schoolyear I will be doing both physics and chemistry research with professors at a local university. Do you think that I have a good chance of getting into the schools that I want?
Post edited by hollerbackgirl93 on

Replies to: What are my chances of getting into these schools? I am an African American female

• dignified1dignified1 Registered User Posts: 680 Member
    Unfortunately, I don't think anyone can give you a good answer to your question. You seem to have similar stats to my D. I would love to keep her list down to 8 colleges (because of costs). A synopsis of her stats:

GPA - around 3.9 uw (ranked in top decile in highly competitive public hs)
    SAT - 2250 (will retake in Oct.)
    SAT IIs - Bio (750), USH (760), Chem (760), Math II (790), German (800)
    APs - Has taken 8 and received 5s on all of them (National AP Scholar)
    Courseload - thus far 7 AP courses, 5 more senior year
    Great ECs, scientific research, various science, math, sports and volunteering awards, National Merit Semifinalist (probable based on yearly cutoffs), Naional Achievement Semifinalist (probable for same reason)...

But, we're still struggling with the college list. Which colleges are safeties and which are reaches? We're considering UCB, UCLA, Duke, Northwestern, Wellesley, Columbia and Johns Hopkins, but should we even consider HYPS & M?

I think it will all come down to how passionate you are about the school you are applying to. If they can sense through your essay that you really want to attend, that will give you a bonus. When my D tries to add a college to her list, I ask "Why?" "What is it about that school that you like?" and, "If you get accepted, will you go?"
  • bitesizebitesize Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    I can't give you a good answer, but I can say that #7 of our class had similar stats to you and get denied to Yale. I do think that you'll definitely get into Boston University and Baylor. You seem like a good match for Rice. Brown, Yale and MIT are definitely reaches and Northwestern might be attainable. UPenn I think you'll get denied (Fifth in our class got into Yale, Princeton, Harvard and Stanford and was denied from UPenn somehow..)
  • justadream92justadream92 Registered User Posts: 617 Member
    I honestly think it's going to come down to your essay writing and your ability to garner great recs. Your stats are really good, but never underestimate the soft facets of your application as they may be the deciding factors in your admission. With the schools you're applying to, I also think you have BU, Baylor and Rice under your belt, Northwestern and JHU are possible matches and Yale, Brown, MIT and UPenn are reaches ... For everyone to be quite frank.

Like I said, write dynamite essays that are creative, original and show a sense of who you are as a person, as well as your eagerness to attend those schools and that you have the potential to do amazing things with the education that you'll be provided there. this can oftentimes set you apart from your peer applicants who may have similar stats as you with impersonal and dry writing responses.
    @dignified1; definitely consider HYPSM ! ... Specifically the "S" haha =D
  • starlight*starlight* Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    honestly, with the unfair way AA works, you'll probably get into all of them, even though there will be many other students, even black ones, who are more qualified and more deserving. A 31 isn't great, but i guess life just isn't fair. i'm just glad i wasn't negatively affected by the heavily skewed AA system; my superior testing scores, grades, etc. were not mocked by my denial in favor of black students with much lower scores, like yours.
  • bitesizebitesize Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    Even with AA it's very unlikely she would get into Yale unless she's top 10 in her class at a somewhat competitive school.
    A 31 is well above the national average and very much within the ACT ranges of the schools that the OP is applying to. Stop venting AA please; it's becoming very old within these threads.
    *most of the schools.
  • lapraslapras Registered User Posts: 325 Member
    I think starlight* is a ****. Just a few months ago, he/she posted about all of the top schools he/she was accepted to :/
  • dignified1dignified1 Registered User Posts: 680 Member
    ^Hope so. It's ridiculous to try to denigrate individuals for applying to colleges whose stat profile they easily match.
    I've had words with starlight* in the past ... I'll just leave it at that.

But yes, I agree lapras and dignified1. it's incredible how fast people shout AA to put others down in an effort to uplift themselves.
  • starlight*starlight* Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    wow...you must be some type of jealous to call me a ****. umm i actually earned all of my accolades, thank you very much. please, i have no reason to make anything up, i'm just that smart. you know its true when someone w/ a 1700 gets in to a lower ivy and thery're black, when every other student with those scores is just tossed out of consideration.
  • lapraslapras Registered User Posts: 325 Member
    starlight* wrote:
    wow...you must be some type of jealous to call me a ****. umm i actually earned all of my accolades, thank you very much. please, i have no reason to make anything up, i'm just that smart. you know its true when someone w/ a 1700 gets in to a lower ivy and thery're black, when every other student with those scores is just tossed out of consideration.

Don't worry, I'm not jealous of you for any reason. I got into my first choice college :) you posted in the AA results thread, which lead me to believe (SHOCKER! :O) that you too were AA, which is why I DON'T understand why you're insulting others for "taking your spot". In the minds of other (ignorant) people, you're "taking their spots" too. Which is why I believed that you're either really confused, or a **** :)
    99.9% to all of them chance thanks to america's latest form of racism AA...enjoy being one of the few black kids who care about their education and beating out other applicants due to your skin color...

Don't worry, you can get in too! As long as you hide your blatant ignorance and ******baggery ;)
    Starlight, I think we've had enough of you talking about how "superior" you are in comparison to just about every goddamn person in this forum. Congratulations ... Moving on ... I've had the distinct honor of meeting a white female with a 1680 SAT score at Princeton and an Asian male with a 26 ACT score while visiting Stanford, both at previous admit weekend events. Take that AA s**t and shove it down your throat.
  • tfeduardo12tfeduardo12 Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    Yea have it you're way...I guess i'm ignorant, discrimination doesn't exist, and we live in a world inhabited by unicorns that prance along our rainbow filled skies...Not surprising you don't believe AA gives non URM's the shaft, you're black too. I was waitlisted at the top 2 schools i applied to ND and BC: 31 act, 3.9 gpa, 6 ap's, ranked 11/1,025 in the class, nhs leadership, key club, and heavy duty soccer committment. I 99.9% chance myself that if i were black I would've been accepted. Whatevs tho I've gotten over the fact that my skin is white. UPITT '14!

@Starlight, you are a boss, I love you're condescending tone, enjoy being smart and reaping benefits not on the account of your skin color. Spread the word AA=reverse discrimination.
This discussion has been closed.