Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What do my chances at the U.S. Air Force Academy look like?

robertwilliams10robertwilliams10 - Posts: 5 New Member
I am currently a sophomore at a top college preparatory school in my area. In my freshman year, I took two honors classes, Chemistry Honors, which is usually taken by strong juniors, and Geometry Honors, which is usually taken by strong freshman or sophomores. However, I didn't do so well in these two classes (around a C average for both Chemistry Honors and Geometry Honors). The English and History courses were the same for every freshman, but I believe I would have been in honors classes, if they were offered (around a B in English and around an A for History). I took the maximum number of courses available to a freshman, including two electives, Multimedia Design and Band. I had two unsuccessful campaigns for school vice president and school treasurer, but I was elected class representative for the ninth grade class. Over the course of my freshman year, I had over 50 community service hours, which earned me Community Service Honors. I was also a member of my church's youth group. I was cast in my school's spring drama production, and wrote and performed a play for a school drama festival. I did not participate in my school's athletic program in my freshman year, as I was focusing on my academics during the transition from a small Catholic middle school to a rigorous college preparatory school.

During the summer between my freshman and sophomore years was when I was inspired to attend the Academy. I don't remember what triggered this sudden desire to serving in the Air Force, but I felt that it was something I needed to do. Due to this increasing interest, I looked into the U.S. Air Force Academy. After doing some research, I realized that this is somewhere I want to attend, to better myself and my country.

In my sophomore year, I took three honors classes, Biology Honors, Spanish II Honors, and Algebra II Honors, and an Advanced Placement course, AP World History. I am taking the maximum number of courses available to a sophomore, including Intro to Computer Science and Band. I was elected a class representative for the tenth grade class, but later resigned that position, as I was elected school secretary, the highest school government official a sophomore could be elected. I also participated in the Model Congress, Model UN, and Euro Challenge teams at my school. Over the course of my sophomore year, I had over 50 community service hours, which earned me Community Service Honors. During the summer before my sophomore year, I volunteered at the hospital where my mother works five days out of most weeks during summer. I was also a member of my church's youth group. I was cast in my school's fall drama production, and wrote and performed a play for a school drama festival. I was a member of my school's Junior Varsity Basketball team and Junior Varsity Lacrosse team. For next year, I am considering joining the Cross Country team at my school. I am also considering the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program for next year.

Looking at this, what would you say my chances at receiving a Congressional nomination and an offer of admission into the U.S. Air Force Academy?
Post edited by robertwilliams10 on

Replies to: What do my chances at the U.S. Air Force Academy look like?

• XeonXeon Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    You're in the right track. So keep it up!

Keep pursuing Model Congress, MUN and excel in them.
    But just a reminder USAFA expects not only athletes, but athletes who are also in leadership positions within the teams.

And really try to excel in you Math, and Science courseloads. Those three are a good determinant of whether you're a good fit academically to USAFA.

There's really nothing else special to say aside from the usual push your GPA up, SATs, etc. So good luck!
This discussion has been closed.