Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Offer of Appointment!

Replies to: Offer of Appointment!

• Benjo6Benjo6 Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    Hi all,
    It was inevitable, but my Congressman just called and informed me that my "appointment" was on the way... so the process is finally done! I am glad to hear some other appointments have been trickling out and congratulations to NOTHEMOMMA's son for receiving a nomination. Once I received my LOA I stopped applying everywhere else-- so I will be seing you guys on Inprocessing Day and at one of the orientations. Thanks for all the support and if anyone is from New Jersey let me know! Good Luck to everyone, Merry Christmas...
  • PatriotCPMPatriotCPM Registered User Posts: 599 Member
    Congrats! Hope to see you at I-Day, if all goes well on my front.
  • Benjo6Benjo6 Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    congrats patriot on your nomination, it took me about 12 days from the academies receipt of my nomination (at least when it was mailed) to when my congressman called my house to congratulate me.
  • momof3boyzmomof3boyz Registered User Posts: 883 Member
    My son was call down to the school's guidence office today to take a call from our Congressman's office (OH-07). He was told that AF has offered him an early notice of an appointment. My son had NOT recieved a LOA. He was caught completely off guard. He was thrilled just to recieve a nomination.
    This was a truly Blessed Day! My son won't know any of the details until the "package" comes in the mail.
    I did locate an Air Force Flag and hung it on our homes flag pole. He came home after school/practice and was very excited to see the flag out front.
  • NothemommaNothemomma Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    momof3boyz - Congrats to your son! What an outstanding early Christmas present.
  • jlr0313jlr0313 Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    Congratulations to another District 07 appointee. That makes 2 from Southwestern/Central Ohio area on this board!
  • snipper_crsnipper_cr Registered User Posts: 512 Member
    how awsome that would be to be sitting in class, called down to your counselors office and being told your dreams have came true.... I don tthink it gets any better than that! Congradulations!
  • falconhopeful06falconhopeful06 Registered User Posts: 489 Member
    That has to be the best possible thing that can happen when you are called to the office.

Congrats!
  • momoftwinsmomoftwins Registered User Posts: 2,668 Senior Member
    It seemed that AFA was taking a while, but those appointment packages are well worth waiting for. Congratulations to Notthemomma and momof3boyz on the accomplishments of your sons. Benj and patriot, another cybermom wishes you congratulations. Use the bubble wrap well.
  • heartcrossheartcross Registered User Posts: 637 Member
    Okay, have to ask others--did your parents open your LOA/nomination letters? Someone was really surprised that I did, but hey, dd often does not get home from orchestra until really late--I figured it was much more fun to get that great news on the cell phone hours earlier!
  • snipper_crsnipper_cr Registered User Posts: 512 Member
    Last year and this year when i got my nomination, my mom and dad held it up to the light (the printed security on the envelope doesnt do much!), all they had to do was see the word "congradulations" and they brought it to school the first time and waited for me to come home this year (i was due home after they got it only in a few minutes). My dad viehmently stops my mom from opening the mail claiming its federal offence to open someones mail (like id sue them) but im glad they dont...something id want the experience to do. But looking through is fine by me :-P
  • hornetguyhornetguy Registered User Posts: 3,187 Senior Member
    lol. My parents hold my Academy stuff to the light then drag me to the mail to open it when I get home. :D

I have an irritating situation here! I have been accepted to 4/5 schools I have applied to, just not the one that matters! Come on AFA, give a Christmas present! ;)
  • AFDAD2010AFDAD2010 Registered User Posts: 545 Member
    I am under "strict orders" from Benjo6 not to open his appointment letter when it finally comes! Since that's the only order he'll be able to give for quite some time, I figure I'll obey it! ;)
  • momoftwinsmomoftwins Registered User Posts: 2,668 Senior Member
    My daughter and I were actually out of town on a college visit and for her interview with an ROTC program. She was offered the ROTC scholarship on the spot. We went to a chocolate shop to celebrate (Jamzmom would love this part) when my husband called her on her cell phone to tell her that the appointment had arrived. She was thrilled that he opened her mail and called.

When the notification on the nomination arrived, I thought it was another Christmas card from our congressman addressed to her instead of to the family. I thought it was so nice and handed the envelope to her. The thrill of watching her complete surprise is hard to surpass.
  • JamzmomJamzmom Registered User Posts: 2,813 Senior Member
    You parents just aren't sneaky enough. Steaming. Thats the ticket. ;)
    Keep in mind that you may not find out in a letter first. A call could come or a web site status change could show it. I found out when I was checking the status of his web page thing. While I was reading it (and freaking out because the status had been changed to Appointment), a phone call from our Representative came, then two minutes later, the Academy called. Jamz was out running around and we waited two hours for him to show up to tell him. Hated to call on his cell for fear he'd crash his car into somebody. Thought he'd kill us that we didn't call him...... So when, the news comes and you just happen to know it, I would suggest letting them know asap.
This discussion has been closed.