Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!
2»

Replies to: AP Tests

• TuftsPleaseTuftsPlease Registered User Posts: 990 Member
    Thanks UNCynical for all the help you've given back. It's really appreciated.

Hopefully I'll make it to enjoy it next year too :)
  • usafamomusafamom Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    When you are able to validate a class, you get the credit hours for each class just added to your grade card and they do not effect your GPA, you simply do not have to take them. However, you must still maintain a minimum of 5 classes each semester. So if you get out of Calculus 1 and 2, then, if you are a fuzzy major you dont have to take any more calculus. Instead of calc, they can give you other classes like Behavioral sciences or Geopolitics. If you have a techy major like Aero, then you can just move ahead in math which i recommend.
    Regardless of how much you validate, you unfortunately do not get a study period sorry.

However, by validating your core freshman classes you make it possible to take fewer classes during your majors courses junior and senior year which are definately harder than your core classes. Personally id rather have more time later than earlier. Especially since as a freshman you have a lot more free time to do homework since you cant watch movies, or listen to music or leave very much. So i suggest having a tougher load freshman year.

I dont know the policy on economics validation because my school didnt offer that one, but im sure you could call someone at the academy admissions or academics office and they could help you. Government is not possible to be validated so i wouldnt bother with that one. The closest thing to government is Law 220 which you cant even validate the final for.

Statistics is another one that is not the same as the high school version and again, cant be validated.

I recommend finishing the classes but the only use for the test is just more practice on college level tests.
  • UNcynicalUNcynical Registered User Posts: 686 Member
    TuftsPlease, I try to help wherever I can. I figure it's the least I can do.

Good luck getting in next year. 2010 will be an RTB class. ;)
  • TuftsPleaseTuftsPlease Registered User Posts: 990 Member
    So by validating a lot of classes early on, we may not studies that early, but by Junior/Senior year we'll have more free classes? - Studies?

Thanks
  • surfnkidsurfnkid Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    I'll just add my encouragment to validate everything you can. Yes, you're stuck here four years no matter what, but they stuff that time pretty full. By validating classes you leave yourself some breathing space, even if you still have to take the same number of classes. I would especially try to get out of chemistry. It's killing my class. I don't even know how many people are on academic probation because of it.

Speaking of probation, you don't want to get on it. My roomate is (he's likely to get kicked out for academics) and among other things, he can never leave. Not being allowed to get off base is worse than you might think. You know your life sucks when you are taking your date to Fairchild Hall...
  • hornetguyhornetguy Registered User Posts: 3,187 Senior Member
    http://academyadmissions.com/academics/curriculum/index.php

That's the site. I have another question. Can you not take an AP exam and take the test during BCT to validate it? It seems (based on the site) that tests like Chem do not require another test while your in BCT, but I'm getting a different impression from our cadets.

Last one. Right now I am in Calculus BC (skipped AB) and I barely have an A. I feel like I am not getting a good foundation in it (I plan on an advanced engineering degree). Is it worth validating if I might, or would it be better to strengthen the first year then move on?
    In some classes you can indeed get out of of the class based on your placement test scores in BCT, regardless of whether or not you took the AP class/test (or did well on it).

If you validate a class on the placement test, like math, that you feel you should take anyway, you can opt to do so. For instance, I placed into Calc 3 on the BCT placement test. However, I was planning on being a technical major and I had never taken Calc 2, so thought it was best to take that first. I had to sign some forms and explain my rationale for wanting to do this, but I ended up taking Calc 2 my first semester. I did get validation credit for Calc 1, though, which is where quite a few people start out.

In other words, when you get to the placmeent tests, do your best so you don't limit your options.
    And hornetguy, there is a chem placement test in BCT.
  • hornetguyhornetguy Registered User Posts: 3,187 Senior Member
    Thanks for all the help UN!
  • eeee14eeee14 Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    so who would we call?? just the admissions office? or is there some other person there who could tell us what tests to take and what tests won't really count?

yeah, thanks for this.
    You could try calling the admissions office. If they can't give you an answer, I'll see what I can find out when I get back next week.

If you can't find anything and want me to do this, just let me know. And if I don't reference it by about a week and a half from now, remind me.
2»
This discussion has been closed.