Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Flying jobs now open to LASIK patients

GreatAmericanGreatAmerican Registered User Posts: 6,414 Senior Member
http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2007/05/airforce_lasik_pilots_070524/
People who have had LASIK corrective eye surgery are now eligible to apply for aviation and aviation-related jobs, the Air Force announced Thursday.

The change took effect Monday after studies showed there was little or no difference between LASIK-treated eyes and untreated eyes when subjected to the wind blast experienced during aircraft ejection or exposure to high altitude....
Post edited by GreatAmerican on

Replies to: Flying jobs now open to LASIK patients

• HNeedleHNeedle Registered User Posts: 841 Member
    what!! wow!! thats, practically, huge! very very huge... glad to hear that now! wooo lol

now, i'm guessing this would spill over to the academy, but, it may take some time i'm sure.. and there are probably details to work out too.. in a way, i think this may make the quality of pilots better, because they've got a wider field to choose from.. but, it'll make gettin a slot harder because more people are eligible
  • hornetguyhornetguy Registered User Posts: 3,187 Senior Member
    good news to hear, I hope that transfers over very quickly considering our apps as 3 digs start next year!
    haha.. wow that's made my day. my chances arent completely outta the window yet... gah that might've changed my life :) lol good luck w/ that hornet!
  • usafa21astrusafa21astr Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    So, what new opportunities does Lasik allow for?
  • falcon20affalcon20af Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    i didn't think it would allow for any new opportunities, just that it's better compared to prk, i could be wrong though.
    yea i've heard lasik is better, but, both give an opportunity to fly (if you still meet the other eye and physical requirements)....
  • 07PETKO07PETKO Registered User Posts: 1,275 Senior Member
    Essentially, I believe, they both get the job done, but LASIK is less painful and heals quicker.
    Ok, thanks for the info. I thought that I saw somewhere that PRK didn't do too well for those with farsightedness, which is why I asked the question.
  • hornetguyhornetguy Registered User Posts: 3,187 Senior Member
    Lasik can do more since they can alter the shape of the eye vs just the cornea.

In addition, Lasik has a recovery time of days, PRK has one of weeks.
    true dat, true dat... wikipedia has great info if you really wanna get nit picky bout it
    The source of all information: Wikipedia. lol
    aaaaaaaaamen. haha, i get everythin there
  • Z-Man 07Z-Man 07 Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    Have any of you cadets heard about the LASIK news?
This discussion has been closed.