Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

physics dept teaching?

shragesshrages Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
edited October 2011 in Amherst College
Any recent grads or current students ---how do you rate the Physics Dept? Obviously Amherst has great teachers in the humanities -- how's the teaching in physics. What do you think of the concept of an Amherst undergrad physics degree, then graduate degree in engineering, rather than going to an engineering undergraduate school?
Post edited by shrages on

Replies to: physics dept teaching?

• mchellmermchellmer Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    You could do both at Amherst:

Dual-Degree Program | Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth

There is a dual degree option with Dartmouth where you could finish your BA in physics at Amherst, then do a year at Dartmouth Engineering graduating with a BA in Physics and a BE in Engineering.

I know Amherst is not on the list on the website, but I know we have participated in this.

Physics is extremely rigorous here. The department expects a lot from its majors.
  • Anonymous315Anonymous315 Registered User Posts: 103 Junior Member
    "Physics is extremely rigorous here. The department expects a lot from its majors."

Agreed. Most of the departments at Amherst are rigorous in their own way (especially the sciences), but I'll definitely give a shout out to Physics as one of the more daunting.

I have 2 or 3 friends who are Physics majors, and they all love it. It's stuff they're really passionate about and enjoy, and I've heard great things about 99% of the faculty.
  • shragesshrages Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    Thanks for the great info. Sounds "rigorous" in a good way rather than in a cut-throat kind of way?!
This discussion has been closed.