Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Amherst vs Pomona

kidwquestionskidwquestions Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited October 2011 in Amherst College
So my decision has come down to these two schools. They are similar in many regards (5 college consortium, size, etc.) Obviously the biggest difference is the geographical location, but I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about differences other than that (ie. feel of the student body, courses offered, etc.) Thanks!
Post edited by kidwquestions on

Replies to: Amherst vs Pomona

• OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Registered User Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
    Earnest well-meaning(and well-connected) preppies vs. intellectually interested Californians and other upstarts.
  • johnwesleyjohnwesley - Posts: 4,610 Senior Member
    The Claremont colleges are essentially one big university with separate facilities a few blocks from each other, all of which consider themselves liberal arts colleges to varying degrees. Rumor also has it that the research opportunities are not as great as one might assume from seeing so many students and faculty interacting on a daily basis. Very different feel from the Pioneer Valley.
  • Anonymous91Anonymous91 Registered User Posts: 1,008 Senior Member
    I faced the same decision (once accepted to both), a few years ago. There are lots of threads on Amherst vs Pomona that would be helpful for you to look up.
  • Anonymous315Anonymous315 Registered User Posts: 103 Junior Member
    One of my best friends chose Amherst over Pomona, and she'd be the first to tell you it was an amazing decision.
  • Anonymous91Anonymous91 Registered User Posts: 1,008 Senior Member
    I do not know where johnwesley got his information regarding research opportunities at Pomona. Several friends of mine stay over the summer to do research with professors.
This discussion has been closed.