right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

Questions about Amherst profile?

batfanbatfan 761 replies135 threads Member
edited January 2012 in Amherst College
I have a few questions about the Amherst portal.

1) PROFILE: It says "Non-Hispanic/Latino" for the Ethnicity field. I'm Asian, which is noted under "Race." Isn't Asian an ethnicity too?

2) MY DOCUMENTS (Application Status): My test scores aren't marked as received yet, even though they were sent officially in mid-December. Should I wait for this to be updated (if so, how long) or send them an email asap?
edited January 2012
2 replies
Post edited by batfan on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Questions about Amherst profile?

• adfinem6adfinem6 5 replies1 threads New Member
    1) PROFILE: I’m Asian, too, and I also discovered a similar Non-Hispanic/Latino marker on my profile. To my knowledge, they only ask that on the application to separate the Hispanic/Latino applicants from the rest of the pool (i.e. Caucasians, Asians, etc.) for research purposes. That way, someone who is, for instance, three-quarters white and one-quarter Hispanic/Latino will still be identified as such. I wouldn’t worry about it too much (note: I was an ED acceptee :) )

2) DOCUMENTS: If you go on Amherst’s website and look under Admissions, it says they’re closed from December 24th to January 22nd. Here’s the link on the special office hours:
    https://www.amherst.edu/admission/contact/specialofficehours
    Also, keep in mind that this timeframe is probably the busiest time of the year for them, with applicants flooding the office with last-minute apps, transcripts, test scores, and other documents that they have to manually/electronically sort out—I would give them maybe until early February to have everything relatively checked in. If your document status still says “Not Received” past mid-February, then I would start becoming concerned.

Bottom line: Everything sounds normal! There’s nothing to worry about, from what I can see. Good luck! :)
    · Reply · Share
  • batfanbatfan 761 replies135 threads Member
    Thanks so much! Whew, haha.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity