Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

admission: scores important to amherst?

13»

Replies to: admission: scores important to amherst?

• intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 34,866 Senior Member
    The OP has straight As" and "...awesome essays, resume, and arts supplement. Bowdoin is certainly a lower reach for the OP than Amherst, since the OP doesn't have to send their one glaring weakness (CR score) to Bowdoin. Bowdoin's SAT scores are artificially inflated by not having a lot of their students report scores. You can't compare their ranges with Amherst, it doesn't make sense. Bowdoin IS going to be easier for this particular applicant for admissions, although they may not get into either of them.
  • CHD2013CHD2013 Registered User Posts: 2,528 Senior Member
    ^That all makes sense. I still don't think Bowdoin is a match for the OP, but that's just a quibble.
  • alum88alum88 Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    It's mistaken to think that the test optional policy at Bowdoin is a back door to being admitted. Only a small percentage of the class are admitted on that basis and they either have a serious hook, or real magic in their application (beyond grades) such as a national level talent. Not having a serious hook or such magic is as much of anchor, maybe more, than a Low section score on the SAT under the non-test optional scenario (at Amherst). Fwiw, I have read stats regarding the non-submitting applicants who were admitted to Bowdoin and their scores were suprisingly not far off the scores of the admitted applicants. I believe you can see that info in the common data set.
    My nephew got into Bowdoin without scores a few years ago. He was class president and an Eagle Scout with good grades, but had no national level talent. Bowdoin isn't HYPS -- you don't need a national level talent to get in.
  • alum88alum88 Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    He was quite fortunate, and congrats to him. The admit rate for non-submitters is <5%, and the non-submitting pool is filled with kids with very good grades and extra- curriculars, so there must have been some magic iin his application that stood out.
    I don't know where you got your info, but from looking at the 2013-14 Common Data Set, it doesn't seem to be right. Of the accepted students, 53% submitted the SAT and 27% submitted the ACT. I would assume that some small number of those submitted both. That would be 80% maximum of the accepted students that submitted a SAT or ACT, meaning 20% or slightly more did not submit them and were admitted.
  • GA2012MOMGA2012MOM Registered User Posts: 5,440 Senior Member
    Heck, I want to go to Bowdoin, I hear they get fresh lobster weekly....is that true?
  • momneeds2nomomneeds2no Registered User Posts: 755 Member
    Op, give Amherst a shot. From what I understand, it a fabulous school with tons of opportunities for humanities students. Fit seems that Amherst uses test scores to "cull the numbers", rather than make decisions. Amherst looks for students which have a proven track record of excellence. Best of luck.
13»
This discussion has been closed.