Hello! I am a high school sophomore, but I have already begun looking at colleges, and I am interested in Amherst. I maintain a 4.0 GPA unweighted with nearly all honors classes (don't worry, this is not a chance me post) and participate in many activities inside and outside of school, so I am aiming for some fairly top-knotch schools.
1. How good is Amherst's English program?
2. Amherst's class sizes are much smaller than those of full-scale universities. What would you say are the advantages of a smaller school?
3. What is the political/religious atmosphere like on campus? I am a liberal and an agnostic, and while I am not very in-your-face about my beliefs, I will gladly participate in a debate if someone else initiates it. Would I fit in?
4. I understand that in terms of academics, Amherst is one of the best liberal arts colleges in the US. How do the academics at Amherst compare to those at schools like Columbia, Princeton, Yale, and UChicago (other schools I'm looking at)?
5. How would you say Amherst compares to either Wellesley or Vassar (other liberal arts colleges I'm considering)?
6. What are on-campus student organizations and activities like?
7. What types of universities do Amherst students typically gravitate towards for graduate degrees?
Thank you so much! If you cannot answer all the questions, that's fine. Any answers are accepted.