right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, Student Voices - vol. 3, and Student Voices - vol. 4 eBooks NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Amherst Food Fall 2015

SoapyMangoSoapyMango 153 replies6 threads Junior Member
I thought I would start a new thread so we can be more accurate about the current food services situation. My D says the food is pretty good and loves the convenience of grab&go. I appreciated the friendliness of the staff and I think it's fantastic that they are incorporating locally grown vegetables. Does anyone know if a percentage come from Amherst's working (organic?) farm?

Also, I hope @OHMomof2 will chime in.
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Amherst Food Fall 2015

• ThankYouforHelpThankYouforHelp 1294 replies1 threads Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    My D has been there a month and hasn't had the same meal twice (except at breakfast). She has no complaints and kind of wonders if the whole "Amherst food is terrible" thing wasn't some exaggerated vestige of years gone by.

Of course she has no other college experience to compare it with.
    edited October 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 13238 replies247 threads Senior Member
    I skyped with D the other day and this came up :) She says the food's been great. She is a creature of habit for breakfast and lunch, always has been, so having more or less the same thing, esp at breakfast, is fine with her.

She doesn't eat meat beyond fish so doesn't eat a lot of what is available, but the "catch of the day" fish dishes she described to me sounded really good. She's very happy.

Now by year 4 will she be tired of it? Who knows. But a month in she's great.

Here's the web page for menus, hours, etc: https://www.amherst.edu/campuslife/dining/menu

Today sounds pretty awesome - mushroom brie soup?! Garlic and rosemary leg of lamb?

Lighter Side
    Fresh Catch of the Day; Grilled Chicken Breast; Roasted Summer Tomatoes with Freekeh; Peppered Tofu with Shallots & Scallions; Baked Potato; Brown Rice; Freekeh; Steamed Kale

Pasta
    Marinara Sauce; Bolognese Sauce; Pesto Cream Sauce; Penne Pasta; Linguini; Whole Wheat Pasta

Pizza
    Cheese Pizza; Pepperoni Pizza

Traditional
    Garlic & Rosemary Roast Leg of Lamb; Roasted Chicken with Lemon and Thyme; Roasted Calico Fingerling Potatoes; Steamed Fresh Carrots; Steamed Peas

Soup
    Mushroom Brie Soup; Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup

Bread Selection
    Naan Whole Grain Flat Bread
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 13238 replies247 threads Senior Member
    PS: yes they do grow much of their own food. https://www.amherst.edu/campuslife/dining/sustainability/book-plow-farm
    ...Amherst’s own Book and Plow Farm has grown tremendously since its inaugural season 2013/2014. As of last year, Val purchased 32 tons of produce from our farm.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity