Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

no hope for waitlistees...

woebegonewoebegone Registered User Posts: 548 Member
edited June 2006 in Amherst College
i just heard from a dean that the number of deposits Amherst received this year has already exceeded the size of the class it wants to fill (if i din remember wrongly, it's 430 deposits for 428 places)... which basically means there's virtually no hope for the waitlistees anymore... sigh.
Post edited by woebegone on

Replies to: no hope for waitlistees...

• acceptanceacceptance Registered User Posts: 462 Member
    Well yeah... too bad...

Good luck on Williams
  • WesDadWesDad Registered User Posts: 323 Member
    Except for that small number who eventually get in off the wait list at [fill in school of your choice] and forfeit the Amherst deposit.
  • annandale1annandale1 Registered User Posts: 586 Member
    hmm, does that mean that they will be harsher trying to rescind admissions

I might end up with couple C+s or so, and I am scared they might use that as an excuse to take my admission away. Even though I think I had a good reason, and I was not "slacking off", but the welcome letter that I got made me scared...
  • woebegonewoebegone Registered User Posts: 548 Member
    thanks acceptance, u too...

unfortunately, i doubt many will forfeit an Amherst deposit for another school... even against HYP I think Amherst can hold its own...
  • suloshfetssuloshfets Registered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
    Will they really rescind admissions? That would be horrible. People can end up no school in the end.
  • DeanchhswDeanchhsw Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    There is a paragraph in the enrollment confirmation letter about senioritis and how they had to rescind admissions in the past, although very rare. This scares me too..although I'm not falling apart, this is stressing me to do well in the freaking Biology 1 that I take with sophomores. Seriously, I couldn't care less if I had an opportunity to dissect a pig or not.
  • woebegonewoebegone Registered User Posts: 548 Member
    Hmm I really don't think colleges will rescind acceptances, unless in extreme cases... I mean, what will happen to the poor kid who got his admissions rescinded? Take a gap year? Attend a community college? It just doesn't seem very ethical for colleges to ruin someone's future like that just because he suddenly had an anomaly D on the transcript..
  • ejr1ejr1 Registered User Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    It isn't the college that ruins a kid's life - it's the kid who did not continue to work at the end. I don't believe dropping to a B will create a huge problem, but much more may. If you want to attend an elite school, you need to work to the bitter end, and show you are elite. Not fun, I know - all of us parents were graduating seniors, too. But we shouldn't blame the school for the kid's poor choices. There are still schools out there that still have room and are still accepting apps. There are schools with rolling admissions. All is not lost. And for many, a gap year is the best thing that could have happened for them. We make our choices and we live with the repercussions.
  • jenniferlp18jenniferlp18 Registered User Posts: 196 Junior Member
    my friend got a D in his last semester and his admission was rescinded. he's attending community college now.
  • firusfirus Registered User Posts: 93 Junior Member
    that sucks :( I went through my lazy period right around the time the acceptances were coming back, but so did almost everyone else at my school so the impact on my grades was minor :P
  • TianXiaTianXia Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    Off-topic! Bring out the +1 Bastard Sword of Trollslaying!
  • lucyvanpeltlucyvanpelt Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    what is an hyp?
  • evitajr1evitajr1 Registered User Posts: 943 Member
    hyp=harvard, yale, princeton
  • DeanchhswDeanchhsw Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    Damn. my +1 mace cannot hold against your enchants.
  • juenaticsjuenatics Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    "We have received your material. Unfortunately, it looks like we are not going to the waitlist this year.

Thank you for your interest."

*sigh. better luck for those thinking of transfers.
This discussion has been closed.